References: Past, Present, & Future

It had to be at least one hundred degrees outside today, and the humidity was absurd. I felt like I was walking through a sauna, inhaling the thick smell of... I suppose it was just boiling air. I could hardly breathe as I trudged underneath a burning sun through the sand of a beach.

June was walking next to me, but a few feet away. She moved through the heat as if it was a beautiful, mild temperature spring day, only, she was scowling dangerously. Since Courtney had left the other day, June had nearly gotten into a few fights with me. Physically. After Courtney had revealed that she knew why June and her Electivire weren't getting along, June had made me feel unsafe around her. The rest of the day following Courtney's departure was loud and furious as June barked at me and advanced on me several times.

I was certain she would swing at me if she got close enough, and I moved away whenever she got too close, having no defense or answer for her strong words.

There was cursing, threats, and hurt tones used as she raged at me for the rest of that day, into the night.

I deserved every bit of it. I couldn't believe I had told Courtney about June's Electivire. What had come over me? I remembered Courtney's kiss and shook my head angrily. I wasn't even surprised that Courtney had told June what she knew, to be honest. The fact that I had told Courtney anything at all was the truly confusing thing for me. What the hell is wrong with me? I thought irritably.

By the time morning had come, me only getting about an hour's sleep due to my fear of being eaten by a wild, prowling June, June had arguably calmed down a little bit. She was only yelling at me once every fifteen minutes for about five minutes, it seemed.

I was due for another appointment any minute now. The ocean to my right sparkled incredibly underneath the baking sun, stretching out further than I would ever be able to see. I couldn't truly take in the beauty, though. I was too busy being scared for my life. I wondered how long it would be before I could breathe easy and get a good night's sleep.

The sound of a motor or something similar grabbed my attention, but I refused to look to my right, in the direction the sound was coming from.

Where June stood.

I could feel a negative energy focused on me for a while now, and I knew it was June stirring up more things to scream at me, or maybe just lunge at me. From out the corner of my eye, I noticed June come to a stop, and I felt forced to stop as well and I turned to her.

She was staring out at the water, a hand to her forehead to shield her eyes from the sun.

I also raised my hand to block out the sun and saw something interesting.

The sound I was hearing was coming from something flying high in the air, and I could just barely make out a black cord attached to the thing and leading into the water below, the water rippling apart as the cord traveled through it.

What's that? I wondered. Someone parasailing? No... There's no boat. But what's the motor noise I'm hearing? I kept my eyes on the thing flying through the air and the cord ripping through the water, staring at each thing in turn, trying to make sense of what I was seeing.

"Is that a helicopter...?" June suddenly muttered.

My eyes widened in realization. It is! I thought. A helicopter. But what is it doing? My mouth dropped open as the helicopter got closer, and I gasped. "No!"

The top half of the flying vehicle was a deep silver, the bottom half of it pitch-black.

"Gary!" June gasped.

"Team Solace!" I exclaimed.

We both backed up as the helicopter flew closer to the shore.

Not them again, I thought with a mix of fear and anger. Can it really be them? Team Solace? Out here? Why?