Opelucid City's Terra Alert

"This is really it, you guys! Opelucid City! We're here! Yay!" Courtney cheered, her Town Map in her hands. "I am so ready to battle some Dragon types! How about you, Gary?"
I turned to Courtney and stared into her excited eyes. "I'm ready," I nodded with less enthusiasm, worry in my chest that had nothing to do with battling the Gym Leader here.

Courtney then turned to June. "Juni, how about you get a little Badge, too?" Courtney asked her. "Let's all get the Legend Badge!"

"No, thanks," June grunted, crossing her arms and looking to the ground. "I'll just wait for you two to finish up here, and maybe go to another town for another Badge, or whatever you guys wanna do together. I'm just here as dead weight."

"What do you mean, June?" Courtney's voice lowered and sounded somber, lowering her hands.

"Just whatever, okay?" June snapped, frowning now.

I sighed quietly and placed my hands over my eyes. I didn't even know what to think to myself. I just knew the girls were once again stressing me out, and it wasn't any easier to handle in the summer heat, the sun above us sapping our energy. My hands slid away from my eyes and I looked at the city in front of us.

Buildings made up much of the city, with lines of trees planted in front of them. A huge tower stood high over the other buildings, and it looked like a radio tower.

"After this, we're going straight to Interough City, right?" I said firmly to the girls. "No more stops?"

"Right!" Courtney said happily.

"Don't ask me anything," June replied angrily. "My opinion on things clearly means nothing to you."

"June," I said hesitantly.

"No!" June said sharply, looking up into the sky.

I sighed and stayed quiet. I could understand June's anger. Even back in Kanto, I was always the boss, refusing to go off course for stupid sights and insisting that we went straight for Gyms. Now, I was traveling with Courtney for a Badge I didn't need. Something I'm sure I wouldn't have done for June. But, why?

"June, this is a really great thing for Gary and I," Courtney reasoned. "We're going through one last little battle against some tough Pokemon from a Gym Leader before the Interough Conference! You don't want us to be underprepared, do you?"

"It's not about that," June grumbled.

"Then, what is it?" Courtney inquired.

June didn't answer, but she did sniffle. "Come on," she finally spoke softly. "You guys go and get your Badges. We don't have a lot of time to waste, you know."

"Are you gonna join us?" Courtney asked.
June shook her head. "I don't want to. I'm simply not interested, Courtney."

"Awwww. Such a pity," Courtney said sadly. "Oh, well." She turned to me and smiled. "It's just you and me, Gary."

I couldn't smile back, but I managed to nod. "Let's do it."

Courtney suddenly giggled, and it ended in a happy sigh. She reached out and grabbed my hand.

I looked down at my hand in shock, and I was suddenly pulled forward.

Courtney wrapped her arms around me and pressed her cheek tightly against mine. "The Interough Conference is so close! Let's go all the way. Let's make it to the finals, and give it all we've got."

I couldn't respond back, taken by the perfume that filled my nostrils and took over my body. A smile crept over my face out of my control, and I closed my eyes, enclosing my arms around her in a hug, as well.