Swooning Swoon Swoobat

I was lying on my back, staring through the treetops at the moon that lit up the clearing beautifully.

The sounds of insects, birds, and various kinds of wildlife surrounded me, rustling the grass and flying by where dark clouds were hiding amongst the night sky, the moon revealing them just barely.

My stomach grumbled loudly, but I didn't move a muscle. I had officially decided that today was the day I would stop eating for the rest of my life. My plan was to just lay here, motionless, until I died. Yesterday had been a failed attempt at this very same thing. I didn't eat all day that day until night came, having gone over sixteen hours without food. At that point, I couldn't take it anymore, and I ate and ate and ate and ate and ate. I was so hungry that even while stuffing my face with food, I couldn't feel it satisfy my stomach, and so I just kept on eating. I knew I should have stopped eating for a few minutes, and eventually, I'd begin to feel full, but I was dying! I just had to eat! And so I continued to do so. I was so satisfied when I finally began to feel full, I wondered why I even tried to starve myself in the first place. And then, I remembered.

Melissa.

Dad.

All hope I had of ever finding my sister was now blown up.

Finally receiving the answer to how my father died was the biggest disappointment of my life.

At that moment, I knew that I should have just continued starving. Today is my last day on Earth, I thought. Or, maybe I'll survive three days. That's the limit without food or water, right? Three days? After three days, I'll just die. It might be painful and difficult, but it's better than the torment I'd have to live with after learning the truth about Melissa and my dad. How will I ever tell my mommy? Tears rolled out of my eyes and down my cheeks as I blinked. Something was coming towards me through the woods, but I didn't budge, keeping my eyes on the moon.

"Gary?" I heard a voice that I hadn't heard in a long time speak shakily.

I ignored it, staring at the moon that appeared to be so close to the planet I was resting on.

She walked closer to me, but stopped a few feet away, keeping her distance.

I began to wonder where June was. I hadn't spoken to Courtney nor June since yelling at them in the Village Of Dragons a few days ago at Marcus' house. I didn't even care if they never followed me again. I was done with them, and I had considered myself traveling alone.

They both had followed me from a distance, and neither girl had said a word to me, wisely choosing to leave me alone to my thoughts. They were nowhere in sight for the past three days I had woken up, but I would always hear their footsteps and whispers behind me and I felt their presence.

I hadn't turned around to view them, but knowing they were there was more than enough to agitate me. I just wanted to be left alone. Instead of whipping around and raging at them, I kept quiet and cried silently, sniffling every once in a while.

Tonight was the first time in about three days that one of the girls had said anything to me.

I preferred the silence.

"I'm worried about you, Gary," Courtney spoke to me softly.

My eyebrows furrowed, knowing that Courtney was trying to engage me in conversation.

"I know that you're going through so much right now, but I want you to know that I miss you," Courtney told me. "I hate knowing that you're trying to deal with this alone. I respect your privacy, but knowing you're in so much pain draws me to you. I want to help you. I want to be here with you, Gary. You know I can empathize with you on the loss of family members."