twenty five

Jackson: Hey you wanna go get some coffee? The cafe down the street from ur place?
April: Sure. I can meet you in 15?
Jackson: Ok great. See you soon
April: Yep. See ya

April changed into some jeans and a light blue top with her white converse. Mitch was out with the boys so she didn't have to worry about telling them where she was. She grabbed her keys and her phone and left the apartment. She would be a few minutes earlier but she didn't mind being early. Once she arrived at the cafe she ordered an iced coffee. When she had her coffee she went to sit down at one of the tables along the front window of the shop. She scrolled through instagram for a couple minutes when she saw Jackson approaching the cafe. He saw her through the window and waved at her.

"Hey, I'm gonna go get my coffee and I'll come join you" He said when he got to the table. She nodded her head and he came back in no time. "Hey, what have you been up to?" She asked when he sat down across from her. "Uh, not much. Just been exploring a little I guess. How about you? How's school going? How've you been?" Jackson replied. "School is chaotic but I'm managing. Almost over for the year so I'm looking forward to that. Other than that not much has been going on" She answered. "That's not too bad. Got any plans for the summer?" He asked.

As April and Jackson were engrossed in their conversation they were unaware of the teenage girl taking a photo of them and then walking away.

Meanwhile, Mitch was out with Landon and Nathan getting food. His phone started going off and didn't stop. Nathan raised his eyebrows quizzically. "Something wrong?" Nathan asked. "Uh, I," Mitch stuttered out. Mitch now had a confused look on his face as he stared down at his phone. "We should head back home now" Mitch told the boys and stood up abruptly. They hesitantly stood up and followed Mitch out the door after he paid for the meal. "You okay?" Landon asked. "Yeah. Everything's fine" Mitch answers.

When they arrived home it was empty. April was still gone. Mitch sighed pulling out his phone to look at the picture once more.

In the picture April and Jackson looked to be getting pretty close. They were both leaned close to the table and from the view of the photo it looked as if they were holding hands and they both had big smiles on their faces.

Mitch didn't want to jump to any conclusions but he had a pretty good idea of what was happening in the photo. He wanted to yell at himself for thinking these thoughts but he couldn't help himself. She couldn't be could she? He thought to himself. He sighed and headed to his bedroom. He slipped his shoes off and laid down on the bed sighing again. He decided to text April. He wasn't even sure if she saw the pictures yet. Maybe she had because she was tagged in them as well.

Mitchy🥰: Hey where are you? We just got back a couple minutes ago.

He got no reply after ten minutes and he just chose to sleep it off. Maybe her phone died or something.

Mitch woke to the sound of a door being opened. He sat up and rubbed his eyes still in a daze from the sleep. "April?" He called out. She popped up in the doorway, "Hey"

"I texted you. And you never answered. Where were you?" He asked her. "I was out with a friend" She replied. "Just a friend?" Mitch said. She tilted her head in confusion at his question. "Yes. Of course he's just a friend" she answered. "Are you sure about that? Cause that's not what it looked like in the photo. In fact you guys looked pretty cozy with each other" He said sitting up straighter in the bed. 

"What are you going on about? What photo?" She asked. "Really? You're gonna act dumb with me?" Mitch scoffed. "What? Act dumb with you? Are you for real right now?" She crosses her arms over her chest. "I don't know. How about you just start by telling me the truth? You guys seemed a lot closer than just friends. I find it really hard to trust you right now." He said. "What photos? Huh? What fucking photos?" She asked angrily. Mitch pulled the pictures up on his phone and shoved it in April's face. 

April looked at the photo in shock and confusion. "That photo April. That fucking photo" Mitch said. "It's not what it looks like. I know that line is over used when someone cheats or does something like this but I swear to you that it's not what it looks like. Jackson and I are nothing more than just friends. I don't have a lot of friends okay? You ever realize that the only people I ever hang around are my brothers and all the guys on the team? I've never truly had someone be there for me. And Jackson in that person to me now. At least I want him to be because I want a friend that's actually my friend. I sure as hell don't need you accusing me of cheating on you when you know full well that's not the type of person I am. You know full well. I'm done here. We're done here." April finished, grabbing a jacket and slipping on some shoes before storming out of the house.