Chapter 17

*Scarlet's Pov*

Jade's servants giggled from what they had witnessed. My face grew hot as their giggling grew worse. 

I slowly stepped back into the bedroom, cursing myself for allowing such an embarassing thing to happen. My cheeks blazed with fire. 

Jade's secretary walked into the room, her heels clicking behind her. 

"Scarlet, since Jade is gone, I will now be charge of this place. " She stated with a smile. 

"Oh, please treat me well. " I smiled back. 

She nodded and walked away. I let out a gust of breath as I walked towards the bedroom. His wink still lingered my head, despite my attempts to push it away. Although I didn't think of it before...he is actually a little hot. 

I shook my head at the silly thought. 

*

*Jade's Pov*

I walked on the smooth, gray, concrete of Los Angelos. Memories of my happy childhood came flooding back to me. My fathers strong arms that always caught me when he threw me up into the air. My mother thick hair that always smelled like coconut when I buried my face in her hair to cry. Every single aspect of my young days slowly came to me. Though, not being here for just a few years definetly changed things. The stores changed a lot, no doubt. The pet store where I spent my days in was now gone, and replaced by a mall. 

I walked into a new cafe named "Espresso Life ". Although I was mostly occupied with the new soroundings, I also kept out an eye for the man I was planning to meet up with: Benny. Benny Rake had been my dad's best friend since he's 10th birthday. Benny had been with my dad since then, and had helped our family in tremondous ways. 

He was the one who drove my mom to the hospital when she started labor with me–my dad was in his office and was two hours away from her. He didn't drive fast enough to take her there, so my mom turned to Benny when my father didn't make it in time. Benny took her as fast as he could, and brought along the food from his fridge for her. 

He was also the one that had carried me home, on his back when I had broken my leg. He was also the one to keep me company when my mom and dad both had work. He had even funded the funeral for my parents, and had offered me to live in his house when I didn't have anywhere to go. He knew I wasn't the one who murdered my parents, and despite all his attempts to convince the investigators, he had no real evidence that it wasn't me. 

In a way, I guess he saw me as his son. He has no children and lives with his wife. Benny had done so much for me that he was like my second father. 

When he saw in the news about wha's going on with me and Scarlet, he flipped out. The fact that I was shot by someone unknown had made him really worried. The fact that I am currently having a women who I don't know live in my house...is even worse for him. 

"Jade! " His voice is the most lively and loud of all the voices I've heard. I turn to the direction of the voice. 

"Wow...is this really you? " He sounded so amazed. 

"Yes Benny. " I laughed. 

Benny honestly didn't change a single bit. His eyes were still tired and scream for sleep. His mustache is in the same flat, dark, fresh cut way it always was. His hair has gotten more gray, but other than that, it's still the same loud, happy Benny. 

"How did you get so tall? And–" He leans in a little closer, inspecting my face "–why is your face so smooth? Your skin is so clear. That jawline is sharp enough to cut through rocks. " He laughed at his own joke. 

"Let me guess...you got a whole line of ladies waiting for you right? " He asked. 

"Or...wait! " A shocked look crossed his face. "Did you do it? Make sure you do it in a safe way ok?"

"What? Do what? " The answer to the question was already lingering in my head, but I was hoping the answer was not that. 

"Oh–you know. You children this days are so mature..." He raised his eyebrows. "I'm talking about sex. " He spilled out. 

"What? No! " My ears burned with shame. "Benny...I can't even with you." 

"So did you lose your virginity? " He asked, more curious?

"No!!! " I yelled, fully surprised that such a question would come out of his mouth. 

"Alright. You only got one virginity, make sure to use it wisely or else–" 

"It's ok, it's ok, it's ok! I get it Benny. " I assured him. 

"Ok...just letting you know..." He laughed at my red cheeks. "Now that we're both happy, I might as well move to the serious part. " The smile wiped off of his face easily. "Who is that girl that you are staying with? " 

Author's note: 

Guys I am so, so sorry for not updating in a long time. I had a lot of things on my plate and...I kinda lost the joy in writing stories. But, I got it back now, so it's fine. I will update when I can, as often when I can.  

And a word of wisdom: get ready, because the next few chapters are packed with drama, adventure, and (maybe) tears. 

Please don't forget to vote and comment. I'll see you in the next chapter!

-swarnaacharjee