Chapter 21

-April 30, 2016-

"I had another vision last night." Sophiea stated.

Nathanial rolled over in the grass to look at his long term girlfriend. "What was it about."

She closed her eyes and began to tell the experience.

....

She was in an empty house. A thin layer of dust covered the furniture and floated in the air. There was a quiet familiarity about the place that gave Sophiea a sense of unease.

"Hello?" Her voice rang throughout the room, coming back to her in an echo. "Is anyone here?"

The stillness answered her question. No one was here, no one had been here for a long time.

She walked out of the room, into a hallway, doors lining the walls. Hesitantly, she reached out and opened the one across from her. Inside was a bathroom. Makeup was scattered about the counter, half used and covered in cobwebs.

Eerie silence was the response to every footstep, every movement Sopheia made.

The last door was slightly ajar, and Sophiea just lightly pushed it open. Inside was a nursery. And for the first time Sophiea looked around.

The walls were painted a faded green. A crib was along one side of the room with a rocking chair next to it. Paintings lined the walls, images of fairy tales and classic nursery rhymes.

Books and toys sat scattered around the ground. Sophiea gingerly stepped over them to a small end table that was pressed against the back wall. She blew dust of the picture frame and saw the picture.

Her mother lay in a hospital bed, looking radiant, her father sat next to her, smiling at the camera, and between them was a buddle of blankets. A baby.

"That's me." she whispered, a tear streaking down her cheek. "That's me and my mom. And my dad. They look so happy."

She slid the picture out of the frame and put it in the pocket of her jacket. As she set the empty frame down, the glass clanked against metal. She swept the dust away and found the gold band, left there by her mother.

She slid the ring on her right hand and made her way out of the room again. But as she stepped down the creaky stairs, the air got thin, she started to teeter, and she was home.

....

"Do you have the ring? The ring and the picture?" Nathanial whispered, hesitant to ask.

Sophiea nodded and pulled them out of her pocket. Her boyfriend whistled.

"One year of doing this, and you were able to bring something back. Amazing."

Sopheia began to sit up as well but was tackled to the ground.

Nathanial scooped her up and rolled with her down the hill, pinning her to the ground as he kissed her. "You are beautiful."

"Nat! What was that for?" She laughed as he pressed kisses on her nose and forehead and lips.

"I just love you so much." As they began to speak, light rain began to fall. "Look Sophiea. Does this remind you of something?"

"Our first date?"

"Nearly a year ago we were in this park in the rain, that was the day you agreed to be my girlfriend."

"I remember." She smiled as she stood up. "It was a wonderful night until Ultron took over."

When she turned back to her boyfriend, she found him on one knee in the grass, the rain causing his hair to start to plaster to his forehead She gasped and put a hand to her mouth.