Chapter 8

-April 3, 2015-

"Can you believe we've been here a week?" Nat exclaimed "It feels like just yesterday we flew here!" He turned to Sophiea, who was absentmindedly stabbing her cereal with her spoon. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"We should do it today. I can't stand waiting like this anymore. I'm going to do it after school. Bring the handcuffs, put them in your backpack. I'm going to bring my gun."

Nathanial stared at her wide eyed. "Soph, I'm not sure that's a wise idea. Yeah, I want to catch him just as much as you do but, today, today just is not the best. We need a plan of attack. We need to know what to do."

"I have a plan, attack." Sophiea muttered. "I can't sit here idle. I need to get out there and help. You can come with me or you can go home."

"What about us?" Nathanial stood up and started to pace around the small kitchen and Sophiea looked up confused.

"We're partners. We'll see each other at work. Get on with our lives."

"No. Listen, Sophiea, I really like you. I want it to stay this way. It will all change if we go back to New York."

Sophiea looked at him sadly. "You really feel that way?"

"Of course, I do! Who could not love you? You are smart and kind and strong. I just want to spend more time with you."

"We'll take care of Mr. Keaston today, and we'll talk about us on the flight home, ok?" Nathanial smiled at Sophiea.

"Thank you."

Sophiea stood up and walked to where Nathanial was standing. "It's no problem. Now go get the handcuffs. We're gonna need them."

Phil came down the stairs as Nathanial ran up them. He saw Sophiea sliding her gun in her bag, and he saw her hands shake as she did so. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to."

The girl looked up at her mentor. "I have to Phil. The guy is a real threat. You want us to detain him for a reason, right?"

He grabbed her hand. "I wasn't talking about the hydra agent." Coulson pointed at the ceiling where they could hear Nathanial going though drawers and rummaging through his stuff looking for handcuffs. "I was talking about him."

Sophiea blushed. "I don't know what to do. What do I do?"

"I don't know Sophiea. What should you do? You were the one who told me how to propose to Audrey. You are the romantic expert."

Sophiea smiled. "Right the cellist. How is that going by the way?"

Phil smiled softly. "I haven't asked yet. I'm going to go up to Portland after we're done with this mission. Miss. Nathan will be a Mrs. Coulson soon. But it's you who needs help now. If it helps when we fly home, I'll leave you two alone."

"Thanks Phil." She gave the older man a hug. "What would I do without you?"

"You would be late for school. You need to get a move on."

....

By the time Sophiea got to woodshop, she had formulated a plan.

"Hey, Mr. Keaston?" She asked her teacher when the class ended. "I'm having a problem with my car. The tires won't screw on right and the shape is just not right. Can I come in after school today and fix it up?"

"Yes, it will have to be quick. I've got to head home right after, but I'll be here for about 15 minuets. Will that be good?"

"That would be wonderful. Thank you!"

Sophiea practically ran to the lunch room, where Nathanial was waiting.

"Right after school today." She whispered to him. "We can do it. Text Phil. Tell him to meet us at the back door of the school at 3:30. Be ready to help us get Keaston in to the car. Do you have everything you need?"

"Of course, I do. I wouldn't let you down like that. I also have my badge just in case someone sees us arresting our teacher."

"WHAT?" Sophiea yelled and when Nat shushed her she whispered the same thing. "What? Why do you get a badge? And better question, where is mine?"

"I don't know Fury gave me the badge before I went out on my first mission. I thought you got one too."

"No. Obviously Nick has his favorites." Sophiea scoffed.

They ate in silence, Sophiea still fuming about not getting a badge. And when the bell rang, she wished the rest of her classes would go by faster, but they seemed to go slower the more she thought about it.

Finally, the final bell rang and Sophiea grabbed Nat and raced down to the shop classroom. Adrenaline rushed through her veins as they entered the empty hall. Their shoes made were the only sounds heard. Each step mirrored the racing of her heart.

"Hey, Mr. Keaston, we're here." Sophiea called to the empty room. The lights were off, letting the desks and chairs cast eerie shadows on the walls and ceilings.. She pulled the gun out of her bag and clutched it tight in one hand.

"Maybe he's in the backroom." Nathanial started, but the door to the classroom slammed closed. The teens jumped and Sophiea fumbled for Nat's hand, unable to find it, she held her gun tighter.

"You know," a voice whispered. "When I moved here, I thought I could be done with shield chasing me. I thought that no one would find me. I guess I was wrong, wasn't I?" They heard a gun cock and Sophiea fingered the trigger on her's.

"It would help us out if you just came without fighting. We don't want to hurt you." Nathanial whispered to the dark.

A figure moved out of the shadow in front of the door and into the light, it wasn't much help though, all Sophiea could see was a faint outline of a person.

"Ah, you don't want to hurt me. What a sweet sentiment. I don't think your girlfriend agrees with you. I can see the gun in her hand."

"We just need to take you in for questioning. Please just come quietly." Sophiea pleaded, taking a step forward. She did not get to finish her sentence before a gunshot sounded through the mostly quiet room.

"I really didn't want to do that." Keaston whispered. "You reminded me of someone I knew, a very long time ago. I didn't want to hurt you" Sophiea grabbed her side in pain, already feeling the warm, sticky liquid seeping through her shirt.

She feebly lifted her weapon and fired blindly at the shape in front of the window. The bullet struck her target and he stumbled back against the wall, hitting the light switch on the way down.

The room was bathed in light and Sophiea's vision went blurry. "Nat. Get the handcuffs, I think I shot his leg, he should be fine. Let's get to the car."

Nathanial handcuffed the man on the ground and hoisted him to his feet, pulling him out the door that led out back. Sophiea stumbled after them, trying to hide her pain, the rip in her shirt, and the increase in red covering her hand.