This is Me

A/N: Two updates in two days. I feel like I've accomplished a lot. XD Another "Greatest Showman" song inspired imagine. :) This song should've totally won at the Academy awards in 2018 for Original Song (just saying ;)) Enjoy!

I am not a stranger to the dark

Hide away, they say

'Cause we don't want your broken parts

After losing my legs in the horrific car accident six months ago, which ultimately resulted in Steve benching me from the Avengers , I knew that things would never be the same.

Sure, I was welcome to stay in the Tower but I was only allowed to participate in the developing and technical preparations for the missions. In other words... my position had been downgraded.

For awhile, it seemed that everyone's eyes were on me whenever I walked down the street with the assistance of either someone's arm or a pair of crutches.

At first, I wore my favorite pairs of shorts, finding it easier to put on in the mornings. But as the looks continued to grow, I forced myself to wear jeans and pants every day. It would be easier to hide them away then have to explain everything to everyone who questioned my prosthetic legs.

And so that's how I lived, hiding my imperfections from the rest of the world... at least, until I met him.

I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars

Run away, they say

No one'll love you as you are

At first sight, my eyes immediately focused in on his left arm. His gaze focused on mine set on his limb, and he immediately pulled it out of view, hiding it behind his back.

A pang of familiarity hit me as I watched his eyes cloud with an emotion that I could only determine as shame. I wasn't the only one...

Weeks passed by, and our interactions hadn't developed past surface level conversations. Bucky trained and soon was welcomed to join the team with Steve... in my position.

My heart broke even further than it had before as I listened to Steve tell him the news at the dinner table one evening. As my eyes swam with tears, I picked at my food for a few moments before mumbling something about not feeling well and walking to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. All the way... I felt a pair of eyes on my back, but I did not turn around once.

After a night of sleep, I decided that the only way I could possibly be reinstated on the field team and be viewed as normal again... was to get back in shape. I had been to the gym only once since the accident, and I had been stopped half way through by Steve, who insisted that it was way too early for me to be back.

I decided to wake up early, about 5 in the morning, and go to the gym then. Since I'd be alone, I wore a pair of shorts exposing my prosthetic legs and sports bra before walking down to the elevator and going to the floor where the gym was located.

I flicked on the lights before looking around at all of the equipment in the room.

I had no idea where to even start.

Eventually, I decided to begin on the treadmill. After plugging in my head phones, I started the machine at a slow walking pace before speeding up gradually. After ten minutes, I decided to start to jog slowly. But as I began to speed up, I felt something lock in one of my legs.

"Fuck." I cursed as I reached down to fix it. In a matter of seconds, my legs wiped out from underneath of me and I slammed hard onto the treadmill before finally landing on the hard cold ground a few feet away, my ear buds ripped from my ears. For a moment, I just lay there with my eyes closed before the tears pooling underneath my eyelids started to fall.