Pain and new life

A scream echoed through the corridors of Rivendell. Lord Elrond sat by his wife as she gave birth to their child. Sweat glistened off her forehead as she knit her brows in concentration. With her last strength, she pushed one last time, and fell back into a light and feathery pillow. Soon after, a new sound echoed through Lord Elrond's halls.

~~~Lord Elrond's POV~~~

The cries were of his newborn child, a beautiful baby girl. He tenderly took the child from one of the maids and brought it over to his wife. She tried to sit up, but collapsed back on her pillow. Lord Elrond knew that his wife would not make it. The labor had taken too much out of her. Tears ran down his cheeks as his wife said one last thing before slowly closing her eyes for the last time, "I love you, Elrond." He gently kissed the lifeless body and walked away with his little daughter.

"Arwen!" He thought to himself, "that is what I shall call her." Soon after Arwen started crying. Lord Elrond quickly brought her to the medical elves to see if anything was wrong.

"My Lord," one of the elves stated, "the child is dying. I do not know why, but she is slowly dying. It seems as if her life force is slowly leaving her."

"What shall I do?" Inquired her father.

"I think it would be wise to send for Lady Galadriel, my Lord."

"Alright, quickly now! Go get a messenger and have him fetch her!" The elf ran off and Elrond was left alone with his little crying daughter. As he looked closer he realized that Arwen's life force REALLY was leaving her body! He saw tiny wisps of silver clouds it looked like slowly escaping her small form. Feeling helpless he sank to his knees and began to sob. "My dear Arwen! Please don't leave me! Hang on! I am here for you." He gently soothed. "I will never leave you. Oh, why did this have to happen to her?" He thought has he continued to tremble. Just then, the door opened. Elrond turned around and there was Lady Galadriel. She was beautiful with pale, fair skin and wavy, blonde hair. "Is there anything you can do? This is beyond my powers of helping and I fear for her life." He said calmly.

She answered, "I will do my best Elrond. I will do everything in my power to help your child, but you must leave me alone to do it." He nodded silently and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

As he waited, Elrond let his mind drift to what might happen. What if she became paralyzed? Or what if she did not know me? Oh I pray that she will still know who she is, even if she is only an elfling. Stop! Elrond! You can't think like that. Galadriel will find a way to save her and all will be fine. He snapped out of his thoughts to notice that he no longer heard Arwen crying. Getting up, Elrond walked over to the door and silently knocked.

"Come in!" Answered a voice. Elrond walked in to see Galadriel watching a sleeping baby in the crib.

"Arwen!" Elrond whispered hopefully. He walked over to Galadriel and she started to explain to him what she did. After he left, she realized that only way to save Arwen, was to trap her life force in an object. This object, as long as it remained intact, would keep her alive. Acting as a "second" body. Thinking quickly, Galadriel had grabbed the first thing she saw lying on a shelf in the room, a necklace. Elrond's eyes widened as he saw the necklace strung across his daughters tiny frame. It was his wife's necklace! Then he realized that it would be the perfect thing for Arwen. He had already decided that he would give it to her when she got older. Now she will always have to keep it close.

"Thank you, Galadriel, for saving Arwen's life." he answered quietly so as not to wake the child. "I am forever in your debt."

"It was my pleasure" she answered kindly as she walked out of the room.

Elrond was overjoyed that Arwen was okay but he began to think about his wife. "She was so weak. So thin. So..so..." He began to choke, and then he started crying quietly in front of his sleeping daughter.