Chapter 14

Junior Year

Once we've stuffed our faces with endless carbs, we sit in the living-room. Noah's mom plays Christmas music from the TV, lightening the mood.

Have a holly, jolly Christmas
It's the best time of the year
I don't know if there'll be snow
But have a cup of cheer

Addie runs around the lit tree, singing 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree', completely disregarding the current song choice.

After almost an hour of small conversations, wallowing in our full stomachs, and Addie running through the living-room, Mrs. Anderson decided to change up the mood. "I have Christmas presents to hand out this year!"

Donna, is completely a different person around Christmas. Unlike Kurtis, her harsh frown is temporarily relieved with a jolly smile whenever the season changes to winter. I'm never quite sure why, but it's a regular occurrence for her to be overly happy during this time of year.

Maybe it's because she's fake.

I lean back into the couch, not expecting to receive one of the wrapped presents. It isn't something the Anderson's and I particular do, exchange presents.

Noah and I had in the past, but now we have our own tradition. Instead we go to dinner somewhere nice, buy hot chocolate and look at the Christmas lights. Something we did earlier when Noah asked me to attend this dinner.

We both enjoy it because it's something fun to do, other than play video games and fuck around (not literally). It also takes away the added stress of trying to find the perfect Christmas present and inevitably spending money on something the other person hates.

So when Mrs. Anderson tells us, "You too! Ethan and Marla." I'm shocked to hear her say that.

Donna places all the presents in a pile under the tree. One by one does she hand a wrapped gift to a person in the room. The rest watching patiently for them to open their gifts.

"A lego-set! Thank you!" Addie yells when she rips open a Santa themed wrapping paper covered box. She proudly holds the box to show us, flaunting the pink lego-set.

"There should be another one for you, Addie," Donna murmurs, scratching the side of her head as she glances towards the tree.

Addie doesn't hear her, lost in the mesmerizing pink blocks she is now a holder of. Her mom reading the box behind her and pointing out the different buildings and creations she can make.

"Kurtis, can you hand me another one of those presents?" Mrs. Anderson points to another present in Santa wrapping paper. She read the name from the tag and sighs, "Well this one isn't Addie..." She hands the present to her husband's mother and after the older women opens the present it's revealed to only be a baby-blue sweater.

"Thank you, dear," the elder chimes back, her hands rubbing over the presumably cashmere sweater. I can't say for certain that it is cashmere, but I don't expect anything less from the Anderson's.

Kurtis reaches under the tree and pulls out another wrapped present, decorated with Santa. "Is that for Addie?" Donna asks her husband.

He looks down at the tag tapped to the boxy present and shakes his head. "This one is for... Ethan." Kurtis hands me the present, his eyes not meeting mind as he tries to minimize contact. As if I am some disease.

I take the present from his hands, thanking Mrs. Anderson and beginning to unwrap the paper. When I pull back the print, I'm confused to see.. a doll?

In my hands is a clear box with a blonde doll. The words 'Barbie' spelled in pink cursive and a visible barbie with glittery pink wings and a matching dress. I hold the plastic box in my hands, while everyone tries to peek at my present.