Chapter 27

Laylah Pov

"Bruh its so hot" I sighed as i fanned myself.

"You wanna go in the house?" My dad asked as he flipped the ribs on the grill. My gender reveal was pretty average. I didnt want to over do it since my baby shower was coming up.

There was more people than i had expected. Most of them were from work and some were friends of Denzel.

I was pretty excited and I liked the turn out. Loud music was playing and everyone was having a good time. My dad was cooking on the grill and Denzel insisted on helping. Im surprised my dad agreed because he was very serious when it came down to grilling. I was glad they were bonding tho.

I was still missing Tory. I could just imagine him at this party right now. He would probably be rapping every word to any Cardi B or Lil Baby song.

"No im fine. Imma just get something to drink"

"You sure?"

"Yea" i assured him

"Laylah come here" Denzels cousin Patrice smiled. Everybody called her Booby for some reason. I met her a couple times when i was at Denzels house and she was lit asf. She was like that quiet friend that just didn't give a fuck. She reminded me of Kc lowkey because you never know when they will pop off. But she is different in a good way.

"You look pretty" she gave me a side hug and sipped some of her wine. "I was just talking to your sister she is nothing like you" she laughed

I gave her a low frown then she straightened up real quick.

"no i don't mean it in a bad way i was ju-"

"Girl chill" i laughed "you right tho. That girl ain't right in the head" Booby joined in and shook her head. "So im guessing Bryson isnt here" she looked down at her glass then looked around the yard. It was like she was trying to keep from having eye contact with me.

I rolled my eyes and sighed "no i didnt invite him. And to be honest I dont want to talk about him today" She nodded her head in understanding.

"I didn't mean to get all in your business i was-"

"Girl" I placed my hand on her shoulder and smiled. She was so sweet at times and it reminded me of my old student Dantasha.
"Take a drink for me since i cant have one. And enjoy ya self" i gave her a hug and walked to where the cooler was so i could get me a bottle of water.

"Bitch I think Ms. Mayweather drunk" Kayla said as she pointed to the old lady. Ms. Mayweather is one of my neighbors. She is like the grandma i never had. We first met a couple weeks ago even tho I had been living here for a while. She is in her mid 50s but she looks like she is in her early 40s. She smelled like cigarettes and Hennessey but I was used to that smell because of that bitch im ashamed to call my mother.

"Oh lord what is she drinking?" I rubbed my head as i watched her from afar.

"Everything. Ian gone lie tho. That old lady a pimp. And i love it" Kayla smiled "i can learn a few things from her"

"Oh please. You have a boyfriend. you don't need to learn shit from Ms. Mayweather. Trust me". Its true. She told me about her experiences and how she moved from the southside of Chicago to here in Atlanta. She was a prostitute trying to raise her son alone and she used to have sex with at least 10 dudes a day because she refused to work a regular 9 to 5 job. She was spoiled and even addicted to cocaine until she went to rehab about 2 years ago then left after a month.

But i wasn't going to spread her business like that so i kept quiet.

"Chy I haven't even had a full conversation with Eric in days" She rolled her eyes and sipped her ciroc.