thirty three

{A few days later}

Brad

Driving down the busy streets of London, the windows slightly cracked open as Sofia sat in the passengers side. We were off to the hospital for Sofia's first scan. We were so nervous.
"You alright?" I looked at her briefly.

"Yeah" she nodded. I knew something was up with her.

We stopped at a traffic light and I turned to look at her again. "Little one, what's wrong?" I asked again.

Tears welled up in her eyes "I just miss my mum"

"Sof" I placed a hand on her knee.

"It's just, i would've brought my Mum with us today for the first scan and she's missing this" she informed me.

"She's always going to be around you Sof" I explained.

"I know" she explained

"I'll take you to visit her grave later if you like" I suggested.

She nodded "I'd like that"

-At the hospital-

"Sophia Mendoza" the nurse called. We both stood up and followed her into a room. It was dark and there was a bed and a machine beside it.

"Hi Sophia I'm Jessica, your midwife. If you would take a seat on the bed and pull your T-shirt up just to below your breasts and lay down" she smiled.

Sofia did as she was told and lay down on the bed.

"And who is this handsome devil?" The midwife asked.

"I'm Brad, Sofia's fiancée" I smiled

Her smile fainted and I took Sofia's hand.

Jessica placed cold jelly stuff on Sofia's belly.

"We need to get some of this jelly stuff" I was poking it.

"I apologise about my fiancées childish behavior" Sofia darted to the nurse.

She laughed "totally fine"

The midwife did the scan.

"There's your baby" she pointed to the little peanut shape on screen.

Sofia started crying. I squeezed her hand a little.

"You're exactly 23 days along. If you come back here in six weeks we can do a scan and tell you the gender" she explained.

Sofia got cleaned up and Jessica printed the scans out for us. She handed them to Sofia and she was smiling at them. She booked us in for our appointment in six weeks time.

"See you in six weeks" she smiled.

Sofia and I left the hospital and I took her out for some lunch before going to her Mum's grave.

Sofia was standing at the shop, looking at which flowers to get. "If there's anything I knew about your Mum it's that she loved purple tulips" I smiled.

Sof looked at me "you remembered my Mum's favorite flower?" She smiled

"Yeah. Well one day after school when I went to your house, you weren't there and your Mum was in the kitchen making dinner and she had a vase of purple tulips sat in the middle of the kitchen table and she told me that they were her favorite flowers. So every year on her birthday or Christmas my Mum always sent Cecilia purple tulips as they were best friends" I explained.

Sofia started to cry. "You never told me that before"

I leaned down and kissed her before she placed a bunch of purple tulips on the counter and paid for them.

I intertwined our fingers together as we walked slowly down the graveyard until we reached her Mum's grave.

Sitting on the grass, was an angel statue with a bunch of red roses. A card attaches to them. "My dearest Cecilia" the card read.

"They're from your Mum" Sof explained.

"She must've been up during the week to visit"

Sofia and I organized the flowers before taking a step back. She wrapped her arms around my torso, I hugged her tightly.

A few moments later Sof looks up at me and places a kiss on my lips. "I love you" she says before saying "bye mum" and walking away. I followed her back to the car where she was crying. I stood in front of her as she looked down at the cobble stone ground. I placed a finger under her chin and lifted her head to look at me. I wiped away her tears and placed a hand on her cheek. She placed her hand above mine and gave me a small toothless fault.

"Your mum is so proud of you Sof and I know that. She's always going to be with you and she will always love you okay" I explained.

She nodded "I know"

I pulled her in for a hug before opening the car door for her.

I drove the two of us back to the house, where I was cooking dinner for everyone as they were all coming over tonight. As I cooked dinner, Sofia was setting up the dining room table. Arctic Monkeys was playing in the background when I heard a crash and then a scream from Sofia. "SOF" I ran into the dining room. I found Sofia laughing on the floor. I was guessing she had tripped. "You alright?" I chuckled

"Yeah I just slipped and dropped some things" she laughed as I helped her up. "Let's just hope our baby isn't as clumsy as you" I laughed.

"If it is, you're in for a rough time" she laughed as she pecked my lips.

I walked back into the kitchen and was following the recipe my Mum had given me. I ended up FaceTiming her. Sofia walked in and said hey to my Mum. "Hi sweetheart" Mum waved. "Hi Anne. Thanks for helping Brad cook. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to burn the house down yet" I laughed. Mum laughed too.

"Dad and I will drop by during the week to see the house. We miss you two" Mum informed us.

"We miss you too" Sofia smiled

Sofia and I haven't told my Mum and Dad or Nat about the baby yet. We wanted to do something special for them, as this was going to be their first grandchild.

Sofia helped with more of the cooking before we went to get dressed. Tonight should be fun. Having everyone together, doesn't happen as often as we would like. Sofia hung a homemade banner above the dining room table which read "Dinner at the Simpsons". I shook my head and laughed at her gesture.