one

Sofia

            In what universe did they think it would be okay to shove two hundred Law and Accounting students into a stuffy exam hall? On a beautiful sunny May day?. I tried to make my brain concentrate on the wonders of statistical analysis. Something I probably wouldn't need outside the university.

Who cares about differential or descriptive statistics? Mode and Median were bad enough but range, absolute deviation virance, standard deviation? Outliers? We're the bane of my existance. You see, I never wanted to study Law, Business or Accounting. I wanted to travel the world, be a photographer and live my dream. But my parents insisted that I attend Oxford University and study. You see, when I was a kid, my Dad and his two best friends co-founded Google, one of the biggest selling compaines in the world and one day my parents expect me to take over the business. 

I huffed and looked out the window at the glorious sun. Outside beckoned, promising opportunities for an enjoyable summer. I glanced at the clock and then refocused on the paper. 

"Fifteen minutes left" I told myself. 

As I kept writing the examiner gave us the five minute warning. I scribbled more and checked I had answered everything as these exams determined whether I would graduate in a couple of months time. 

As the examiner told us to stop writing they collected our papers and we were free to leave. I gathered my things and left the building to go and meet my best friends at the university bar. 

I walked into the bar and saw my four best friends sitting at a table, waiting for me. Eden, Alison, Nina and of course, Roscoe. As I walked over to them their eyes lit up.

"There she is" Roscoe smiled hugging me. 

"So, how did you final exam go?" Nina asked.  

"It was tough" I explained as I sat next to Roscoe. 

"I'm sure you aced it" she smiled.

"Yeah" I nodded.

"What's on your mind?" Roscoe asked.

"I just, when we graduate I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. I mean like running my Dad's company is not particulary up there or what I want to do" I shrugged as Eden passed me a drink.

"Then what do you want to do?" Alison asked.

"I want to travel and be a photographer" I sipped on my beer.

"Why don't you tell you Dad then?" Roscoe suggested. 

"Could you imagine what he'd be like if I said hey Dad, yeah you know how you and Mum paid thousands of pounds for me to go to Oxford? Yeah well I don't want to run your company I want to travel. I think he'd have a heart attack" I laughed

"Sof, I'm saying this as your best friend and because I love you, don't let your Dad determine what you're going to do with your life. You're twenty-two years old and have a pretty solid idea what you want in life so grab it and don't let go. If your Dad can't accept what you want to do then screw him" Eden replied

Eden was always a great advice giver.

"Lets just see if I pass or fail these exams and go from there" I explained.