XXVI

As the master's speech continued, I was starting to feel more and more awful. I felt safe, I was standing side by side with Fili, but the pain in my leg was intensifying as the adrenaline wore off and I realized that the bandage had loosened. It was only a gnawing pain, nothing I could not handle, so I did my best to ignore it and focused on the speech, but it wasn't any better than had been a while ago. Now, he had moved on to thanking the dwarves with every word possible, so I think he was close to the end of it. 

I swear I am so close to screaming that he should finish already, the speech has taken forever and the icy cold breezes are making me shiver and I lean closer to Fili, trying to find warmth in him yet again. He glances at the sligtly with a smile and returns his gaze to the master. "I don't understand how he can listen to him without falling asleep every five minutes. On the other hand, Thorin raised him so boring speeches aren't probably that unusual to him." I shift my weight and unexpectedly, a flash of pain spreads around from the wound and I hiss and move the weight off of the leg immediately. The pain fades away, but the throbbing it leaves behind is not good news. I shiver makes it way across my body as it feels like ice is running through my veins.
"And as a final statement, I'd like to thank you one last time for the fortune you will bring us." I rolled my eyes and the Master spread his arms,
"May our return bring good fortune for us all!" The crowd cheers and the dwarves start making their way into the boats and start loading the boat with the weapons provided by the town. I try to help, but I have never felt this horrible before in my life, I am shivering and the pain in my leg is getting worse every time I have to step on it. "It was fine for the few days after the shot, it's probably just irritated by all the trashing that I did."  Fili steps down into the boat and extends a hand to me to take and I grab it. I make the worst decision ever and decide to step down with my injured leg first, and it gives out under my weight, making me grab onto Fili so I don't fall down.
"Are you okay?" He asks, clearly concerned, and I nod hastily.
"I'm fine, I just slipped." He nods but I can see that my explanations aren't going through. I extend a hand to help Bilbo on board, and he jumps down just as another shiver makes it through my body.
"Are you okay, Bea?" He asks and I nod, rubbing my arms, trying to stop the shivers.
"It's the wind, it's freezing." Bilbo frowns, taking a closer look at me.
"This spot is covered from the wind. Are you sure you are okay?" I just nod and hurry to help Thorin with the weapons. 

Kili arrives next to him, but Thorin expends a hand to stop him. 
"Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down." He speaks and I feel my heart sink. He is still not going to be there when they open the doors, even if the wound the arrow made was healed. Kili looks at his uncle, smiling, thinking that he is joking.
"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you." He takes another step forward and Thorin stops him again. Fili turns towards the two, eyes locked to the two dwarves as they continue to argue lightly with hushed voices. 
"No. I noticed you limping again. The arrow wound was healed but you got cut during the commotion earlier. Don't think I didn't notice." Kili looks down but lifts his gaze to his uncle, his eye begging now.
"I'm going to be there when that door's opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin."
"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin lifts his hand to the back of Kili's head and Kili's shoulders slump as he realizes that he is really leaving him behind. As Thorin steps back, Kili too backs away, eyes hopeless and expression grim. Oin leaves the boat, walking to him. 
"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." Kili shakes off his attempts to take a look at him, face shining with hopelessness as he looks at the rest of us. Fili approaches the older dwarf, stunned by the actions of him, and eyeing his brother. I shift my weight onto my other leg but shift it back immediately, the pain shooting up my leg and making me see stars. Bilbo gives me a worried glance but I wave my hand, trying to make it off as nothing. 
"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"
"Fili.
"I will carry him if I must!
"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin." Fili stares at his uncle before making his decision and stepping off the boat, making his way past the older dwarf. Thorin grabs him and tries to force him back to the boat. 
"Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the company." They stare at each other for a moment, I can almost feel the intensity of the stares they are giving each other. 
"I belong with my brother." Fili shakes his grip off him and walks to Oin and Kili. Thorin sighs and turns to us.