Chapter 12 - Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Thursday 7th of May

Today things had gone a little worse. For starters, I walked to school and went to my own level. I saw Andrealle, Akemi and Jade on the seat. I don't know what's happened with us. I sat down and she got up, mentioning something about she needed to talk to a teacher about her assignment. I knew that she left because I was there. Andrealle was flipping through magazines. She hasn't particularly forgiven me. She told me she can tolerate me, for now I need to make sure I don't step on her toes. Akemi seems to be handling it well and as for Leah. I don't know where she is.

I see Leah, walking with Precious. I see her and she flicks her red hair like them and seems to be laughing at whatever she's saying. I see Precious link arms with Leah. I have no idea what just happened but I am hoping this is a dream. I look over to Jade and she's checking something in her locker. I really want us to be friends and I miss her.

She's avoided me all of last month and anytime we were at the table, Jade seemed to always say that she can't stand brunettes. And I know she's aiming that at me. When we go to our lockers, she seems to slam it louder. We would make eye-contact and she would look away plus she always places her earphones in her ear because she wants peace.

I walk up to her and hope to make amends. She looks at me and before she leaves, I call out her name.

"I'm sorry Jade, what I said was out of line" I apologized

"No you shouldn't be sorry. Best friends tell each other the truth, so it's fine that you didn't bother to acknowledge my feelings and say that to me. So it's all right" I knew she was lying and she was more sarcastic.

"Jade, I really mean it"

"Just like you meant that my life was crap" she shot

"You were calling me stupid and all these other things. I was just upset" I raised my voice

"So was I, and that everything that Precious could use against me is because of you"

"Jade..I­-

"Look, I know you really mean it but for now, when you get that diary back, maybe we can talk...but for now I have a lot to deal with" she sighed

"How's your mum? and Vivienne" I asked.

Her mum is working extra hours so that Jade can go to school and also because the landlord will kick them out if they don't pay the rent. Vivienne is her little sister that she has to look after.

"Can we just not...." she looked at me and for the first time I saw real emotion.

She had water in her eyes and she looked up so they won't fall down. She doesn't like crying and thinks it makes you look weak. It took her nearly 4 years to tell me about it. She doesn't like opening up. People think Jade is the Queen of I-don't-care but she has feeling too. And I hate the fact that I am about to lose one of my friends.

She walked away and I took in a deep breath. I have to do something but before I could act it out, I see Precious and her friends. She grins and holds my diary. Leah starts smiling and I just can't help to ask why?

"I saw that little lunch argument last month. I'm surprised that you're supposed close knitted group is starting to hang by a few threads" Precious looks at all of them and they laugh and so does Leah.

"Look, you're not going to win" I tell her with my arms folded

"Look, like I am. I mean you and Jade aren't best friends. Your family aren't particularly lovely, and what I heard in the cafeteria. Your other friends aren't happy and Luke doesn't what anything to do with you. You could say you have no dignity" she smiled