One Year

"You guys are truly amazing." Tyler said into the microphone at the end of the show. "Thank you all for coming out tonight. You know, this past year has been difficult. Josh got badly hurt a year ago today, and we all thought we were going to loose him. But the legend still stands here today." He gestured towards me, the crowd erupted in cheers. "It was a long and hard journey for him to get back here, we had good days and bad days, worse days and amazing days. We just want to thank you guys for always supporting him, for supporting us really."

"And for not dropping us tonight." I leaned over Tyler and said into the microphone.

"Yes that too." He laughed. "Anyway, we are Twenty One Pilots and so are you. Thank you guys for coming out tonight, peace." We took a bow then walked off stage.

"That went amazingly well." I said to Tyler as we took off our ear pieces and handed them to Mark.

"I agree. After your first show back, how do you feel?"

"Tired." I laughed, "No, but really. I feel great. I missed it." I looked back to the crowd.

"Well they missed you too." Tyler smiled at me. "Three two one." He pointed his finger behind me.

"You guys did amazing." Jenna and Debby ran towards us.

"How did you know that?" I asked Tyler who was hugging his girl, smiling ear to ear.

"It always takes them exactly three minutes and forty four seconds to get back here." Tyler laughed.

"And you just start counting when you get off stage?" I put my arm around Debby.

"No, I have a timer set." He shook his Apple Watch in my direction.

"You would." I laughed.

"You boys go get showered, we are starving." Debby said, Jenna agreed.

"Alright, we will be quick." I kissed the top of Debby's head then Tyler and I went to our dressing rooms to get our stuff together. "You know what's weird?" I started the water in one of the locker room showers.

"What's that?" He took off his tank top.

"That most friends only change in front of each other, but we've showered next to each other too many time to count."

"We have reached ultimate friendship." He gave me a high five.

"True." We finished out showers quickly and helped load up and gather up our equipment.

"Food!" Debby and Jenna cheered as we left the venue.

"What are you ladies thinking tonight?" I asked, wrapping my arm around Debby.

"Mmmm breakfast." Jenna said.

"Yes." Debby agreed.

"Huddle House?" Tyler suggested.

"Sounds good to me." I let the ladies get on the tour bus, then I followed in behind Tyler. "To the nearest Huddle House." I announced to our bus driver, Allen.

"You got it." He radioed the other bus and let them know and we were on our way. We all spread out on the couch while we waited to arrive.

"I'm proud of you boys." Jenna spoke up.

"What you do is really amazing. Jenna and I, we get to see it up close. We get to see the kids crying and screaming your words back to you. We get to see the raw emotion in the pit, we get to see the ones who understand lyrics. We get to see how badly these kids are hurt and how you two have some how mended them back together." Debby continued.

"It's truly astounding."

"Thanks girls." I smiled.

"We are here." Allen opened the doors and we all popped up, grabbed our phones and got out of the bus. Just as we were walking in, I remembered something.

"Shoot. I forgot my wallet. I'll be right back." I said to Tyler then jogged back to the bus. I opened the door then got to the counter where I found my wallet.

"You did it, Dun. But I'm still not done with your friend." I voice that I hadn't heard in a year crackled.

"I'm helping him. He'll be just fine." I shut the bus door then joined my friends in the restaurant.

"You know," Debby started once we ordered our food, "a year ago today was one of the worst days of our lives, but after that scare, I know that I am so thankful to have all of you guys. And I'm really thankful for you." She turned towards me.

"You guys are very important to me. I would do anything for any of you." I added.

"Cheers to Josh choosing to fight for us." Tyler held up his glass of chocolate milk, to which we all raised ours and said 'cheers'.

Soon our food came and we all talked and ate for awhile until the tiredness really hit everyone. "Okay boys and girls. Let's load up." Allen snapped us out of our dazed conversations. Tyler stood up from the booth and pulled Jenna out of it as well. I stood up and saw my wife wrapped up in my sweatshirt fast asleep, I picked her up bridal style and carried her to the bus, laying her in her bunk. Jenna also got in her bunk, but Tyler and I stayed on the couch for awhile longer.

"I love touring." Tyler smiled.

"It's.... fun."

"Just fun? You love tour- well loved touring." They say I've changed since I woke up, that I was still the same person, I just liked some different things and acted a tad different.

"Don't get me wrong, I do love it. I think I'm just scared I guess."

"That they will drop you?"

"Or you. You're out there a lot more than I am. Watching you do anything alone out there makes me nervous."

"We will be okay. I swear I will not let you go out there alone ever again and I will make sure that if there's ever a slight chance that something will go wrong, we won't even attempt it, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded.

"Now, we should go to bed. We've got a show tomorrow." A smile grew on both of our faces. "Goodnight Joshua."

"Don't ever call me that again." I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"Aw why not?" He teased. I told him about how when I was out he called me Joshua in the other world, and now he's teased me about it way to often.

"Shut up. Goodnight Tyler."

"Goodnight Josh."

_________________________________

The end.

I never at any point really liked this story, but I decided to push through and still publish it so that you guys would have something to read :)

I have started releasing a new one shot book and you should definitely check it out if you want :)

Love you guys!

~ Peteywentzy