|5|The way he looks at me?|

| Ember |

Song: Just One Yesterday - Fall Out Boy

I wake up with my phone ringing beside me.

"Hello?" I answer groggily.

"Hey, Em, just checking you were up."

"Lex!" I quietly scream. "Hi. Why are you calling?"

"Em, it's 1pm. Did I wake you?"

"Yeah."

"Lazy bitch." He jokes. "I'll be round yours by 8:30."

"Okay, my moms sending a car, like she always does."

"Okay, bye."

He hangs up first. He's never done that before. I suppose I better get up. I unwrap myself from the sheets and get up. As soon as I open the door, I smell bacon. Not just any bacon, Willow's. She's one of the best cooks ever.

"Mm." I sniff the air as I go into the kitchen.

"You're up. Finally. Here ya go." She smiles and passes me a plate of eggs and bacon. I sit on the couch and eat.

"Are you excited for tonight?" She asks.

"I dunno. It's another shitty charity gala." I shrug my shoulders.

"But you'll be going with Alex!" She squeaks.

"Who is just my friend. Calm your tits." What's the big deal with everyone? Matchmaking me and Alex. I've known him for like a week, I don't know if I'm best friends with the dude, let alone if I like him. That's not entirely true, he's always been Jack's friend, so I've met him a few times as a child. I dunno, it's complicated.

"I think that he likes you and you will soon."

"Oh shut up." I swat her away like a fly. She shakes her head.

"Can you not see how he looks at you?"

"Yeah, like any other person."

"I'd kill for a guy to look at me like that."

"He hardly even knows me." I argue

"Ever heard of love at first sight?"

"Drop it Willow." I warn.

"But-"

"I said drop it." I dump my plate in the sink, get dressed and brush my hair, leaving it down. She puts the TV on to fill the awkward silence. I don't even know what she's watching. I'm not even bothered really. I'm just thinking about what she said.

'I'd kill for a guy to look at me like that.'

The way I see it, he looks at me like he does at any other person.

-Strangers

-Jack

-His friends

-Fans

I think he just sees me as another fan. I really don't know anymore.

*

"We better get you back home, it's nearly five." She panics.

"It won't take me three hours to get ready, will it?"

"Yeah. You underestimate it." She drives me back and I run inside. I protested that I could do it myself, so I hear her car drive away. I know she wanted to help, but I'm not gonna let her doll me up. I turn on the shower, strip and step in it. I hate showering, you think too much. It often makes things worse. I just hum quietly to myself. My mom is gonna embarrass me so badly in front of Alex. I hope Alex doesn't embarrass me in front of my mom. She'll freak out and think it's my boyfriend or something. I need a plan. I need to just act friends with him, even though that's what we are. But I'm a confused friend. God help me. I wrap a towel around myself and set out to dry my hair. A towel dry will do, for some reason, my hair is long and thin, so it never takes long to dry. I plug in my straighteners and wait for them to heat up. Willow was right, it's nearly six now. Ouch. Maybe I do underestimate. The longer I wait, the more I will think. Goddamn it. I straighten my hair and fringe and smile. Perfect. I put some makeup, red lipstick and eyeliner. Nothing else. I don't really do anything else. I slip into my dress, which is a halter neck and put a chunky gold necklace with it. I'm nervous already, my palms feel sweaty. I look so girly. And I hate to admit it but this certain type of girly makes me look nice.