Chapter 3: New Ride

Once I deem myself clean, I get out, dry off, and get dressed. I throw my dirty clothes, towel, and rag into the hamper. I walk out to my room, put on my military jacket and combat boots, put my phone and wallet in the pockets, and then walk downstairs.

"Ready?" I hear Dad ask.

"Yup!" I smile, popping the 'P'.

We go outside to his green convertible. I sit in the back once Dad drove us to the school parking lot. I lie on my back, looking up to the sky as we wait.

"How long is it till Sammy gets out?" I ask.

"Any minute now." Dad says.

After a few minutes, I hear my little brother's cheering.

"Yes! Yes, yes."

"So?" Dad asks.

"A-minus. It's an A though." Sam says, waving around his report.

"Wait, wait, wait." Dad says. "I can't see it."

Sam hands over the report.

"It's an A." Dad nods.

"So, I'm good?" Sam asks.

"You're good." Dad nods.

I smile as Sam cheers. He then freezes, causing my smile to widen.

"C-Crystal?"

"Heya, Sammy."

"When did you get back?!?" He asks, putting his bag beside me so he can hug me.

"A couple hours ago. Dad thought it'd be good for me to come with for your first car." I say. "Might get one myself." I add.

"With what money?" Sam asks, sitting in the passenger seat.

"I'm a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Sammy. What money do you think?" I ask.

"Whatever." He snips back.

We laugh. I then take in our surroundings after ten or so minutes. An all too familiar car lot soon coming up ahead.

"I got a little surprise for you, son." Dad speaks up.

"What kind of s..." Sam looks ahead of us, eyes shining in happiness.

I chuckle.

"Yeah, a little surprise." Dad continues.

"No. No, no, no, no!" Sam starts. "Dad! Oh, you got to be kidding me!"

"Yeah. I am. You're not getting a Porsche." Dad says before laughing.

He stops for me to get out.

"Better be home before dark." He says.

"How bout I meet you over at the car lot." I smile.

"Gotcha." He smiles before driving away with a pouting Sam.

I turn around, walking up to a male worker.

"Excuse me, I was wondering if you had any newer trucks?" I ask.

The male smiles at me before nodding.

"Follow me, please." He politely says. "May I ask if you are in the service? I ask because of the attire." He adds.

"Yes. Kinda just got back today. Thought a new vehicle may help me get back in with civilian life till I get deployed again."

"What's your rank?" He asks.

"First Lieutenant." I answer.

I am then led around the fancy car lot before seeing a black 2007 GMC TopKick 6500 pickup truck. It's as if I am in a trance. The beauty before me grabbed any attention of mine.

"I see you've found the most popular truck brand we have!" The car salesman smiles at me.

"Yes. What can you tell me about him?" I ask, walking around the black beauty and to the driver side door.

"This truck came in yesterday. It's a 2007 GMC C4500 4x4 Crew Cab TopKick. Has a suspension lifted a few inches with spring blocks and re-arched springs, and 20-inch, black painted aluminum wheels fit 40-inch Nitto Mud Grappler tires underneath." He says.

I get into the truck, sitting in the driver seat and put my hands on the steering wheel.

"This truck has a set of custom, hugely offset steel wheels made for the rear axle." The car salesman continues. "There's also two chrome big-rig smoke stacks and a pair of matching horizontally mounted smoke-stack-like sidesteps."

I hop back out as I do another walk around the truck. I stop at the tailgate.

"What's this symbol?" I ask.

The car salesman comes and looks.

"Honestly I do not know. But some companies like having something special with custom-made vehicles. One of a kind." He says. "This is one of a kind." He adds.

"Anything else you can tell me?" I ask, walking back to the front of the truck.

"As you saw, there are two large Road Armor front and rear bumpers, made from hardened 3/8-inch steel and coated in bed-liner-type spray. It's Duramax 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V-8 had been modified and the Suburban side mirrors make it look more massive than it is. Has a curb weight of 10,000 pounds, a 16,000 pound tow rating, and the ability to carry up to 5,500 pounds." He says.

"How much?" I ask.

"$81,062. If you can show proof of military position, you may get a $32,885 discount." He says. "That'll bring it to around $48,177."

"Where do I sign?" I ask.

"Right this way."

I follow, sign, pay, and receive the keys. The car salesman then takes me back to the truck I had oh so lovingly just bought.

"Hello, handsome." I smile once I got into the driver seat.

I make sure the door is closed and seat belt on before I ignite the ignition. I smile as the engine roars to life. I put it in gear before driving less than a mile or two away. I park before hopping out, keys in hand. I notice the windows of every vehicle busted except for one, a Classic yellow Camaro with black racing stripes.

"For $4,000... Nice ride." I say. "The best deal you could ever get with a beauty like this." I add.

Dad and Sam looks at me then to the large black truck behind me.

"H-how much was that?" Sam asks.

"$81,062. But being in the military got me a $32,885 discount. Bringing me to a total of $48,177 in which I paid in full and still got a few grand to play with." I shrug. "I've been saving up every penny I could for a truck that'll cut it in the ring with me. Seems I finally found one after five years." I add.

"Yeah but... your 'ring' is military dangerous. That really going to cut it?" Sam asks.

"Military dangerous lets me show off my weapons. You wouldn't understand." I smile.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. The First Lieutenant and also the Weapons Specialist of the military base. Not to mention a skilled fighter and medic." Sam says mockingly, until Dad slaps him over the back of the head. "OW!"

"Ain't so tough now are ya?" I laugh, walking back to the driver side door. "See yous back home!" I call before getting in and driving home, taking as much space as I can in my paradise, the garage.