real life

theo sat patiently in the box, fiddling with her phone. she was in joe's room, waiting for him to bring a still slightly hungover ben out of his room and to joe's. she was a little upset that she hadn't been able to celebrate new years with him, but they couldn't help it - she and timmy were expected to be at the hammer party and she had already told ben all about it, she knew it would be fishy if she wasn't in any of the photos.
      she yawned, swiping through instagram, rolling her shoulders. it was slightly cramped in the box but it would all be worth it. surprising ben and being able to celebrate such an occasion with him for the first time would make it beyond worth it.
      as she heard the buzz of the key in the door, she locked her phone, setting it down beside her, waiting for the muffled voices. "joe, mate, what's this? i said you don't have to get me anything, especially not something so big."
      "oh, hush," joe quipped. "i think you'll like this gift quite a bit."
      "why are you holding your phone up like that?"
      "for the reaction."
      "okay then," ben drawled out, his voice growing closer.
      as he took off the lid, theo realised that her legs had gone numb, not allowing her to stand proper. as she staggered to her feet the best that she could, she laughed out a, "happy birthday!" before falling back onto her ass.
      ben's jaw dropped and he looked back to joe, whom of which was also laughing, holding the phone as steady as he could. "you got me a theo!" ben exclaimed happily, turning back to the box and leaning to help her to her feet. once she was steady, he wrapped his arms around her tightly, pressing a sloppy kiss to her cheek. "what are you doing here? i thought you couldn't make it until the day of the globes?"
      "just a little white lie i had the guys help me concoct so i could surprise you today," she laughed.
      "well, i'm definitely surprised."
      "happy birthday, benny."
      turning back to joe with a grin on his face, ben stated, "this is honestly the best gift i've ever received."
      "it was all her idea," joe stated, pointing to her. "she pulled all the strings, i just shoved her in the box and dragged your ass up here."
      "thank you, both of you." tucking an arm behind her knees, ben picked theo up in one swift motion, the movement causing her to let out a small squeal. "now if you'll excuse us, we have some celebrating to do."