Prologue

There has always been something about the phrase "Once Upon A Time..." that can make us, no matter how old, sit up and listen. Somehow this simple expression can captivate us; we are drawn into just about any story. When I was younger, there was an uncomplicated flow to these stories. The rules were always simple; good triumphs over evil, the kind and deserving princess, who has, of course, overcome some form of hardship, gets the prince, and the wicked are punished. And, naturally, every fairytale always ended the same way, "And they all lived happily ever after".

Unfortunately, this is a story of real life. The only "Once Upon A Time's" and "Happily ever after's" here are the ones in the stories I used to tell my little brother and sister. There was no fairytale that could have prepared me for my senior year of high school. Though, I guess what one person perceives as their fairytale could very easily be someone else's nightmare. For me, my nightmare was apparently a shattered family, broken hearts, and decimated dreams.

As I look over my shoulder, at all the things I am leaving behind, it finally starts to sink in that nothing will ever be the same for our family. Things have changed so irrevocably that I no longer know which way is up. It was as if a bomb had been dropped right into the middle of our little slice of heaven; everything has been destroyed.