Chapter 21

"I went our lesson this weekend, but you weren't there," Ali complains to me the moment I walk into yearbook. "Your mom wouldn't even tell me where you were. All she would say is that you and Autumn went on a trip. Where were you?"

"Autumn and I went down to the first winter series 'A' in Raleigh. I asked you if you wanted to go in November," I tell her as I search my bag for a pen.

"What? I figured you wouldn't go without me and your mom was here," Ali says confusedly.

"Autumn and I took Will and Kenzie. I asked Mom to take us, but all she said was 'Why don't you ask if Kendall Sampson will coach you'," I mock Mom's sarcastic tone. "She was trying to be mean, but Autumn and I basically took that sentence and ran with it. Autumn texted Ava and she coached us. It was great. I actually went for it and did the junior's after I had a good schooling. It was a smaller show and it seemed like a good chance to give it a try."

"How did that go?" Ali asked with a snort of disbelieving laughter.

I just stare at her for a minute, "It went great actually. We were reserve champion."

Ali's jaw drops, "There's no way."

Is she serious right now? "Yeah, 2nd, 1st, 3rd on the flat. We were 2nd in the medal and 3rd in the classic."

"Kenzie? Your Kenzie?" Ali looks at me wide eyed.

"Yes," I insist. "It's all online if you don't believe me."

"I'm just surprised is all. She's always just been a more difficult horse to ride," Ali says with a shake of her head.

I'm just so sick of this attitude. Why can't Ali ever just believe in me? "I've never had any real issues with her. I know she wasn't great for Julie's client, but she also wasn't being ridden there. She was doing amazing in the 3' and Ava was able to track down her old owner who's a senior at George Mason. I've been talking to her and she competed at Maclay with her. I've been telling you all for a while that we really lucked into something with her."

"Wow, that's crazy. I can't believe she ended up here," Ali says in disbelief.

I know that I'm lucky Kenzie landed in my lap; I'd never be able to afford a horse like her. There's just something about the way Ali says all of these things; sort of crabby and rude. I don't know what's been going on with her the last couple of months but I miss the girl I used to know.

"Well, can we go to the New Year's show in a couple of weeks?" Ali asks.

"You and Autumn could go," I tell her. "I'm going to be in California visiting Dad and Christine with the twins." I've gone every year since I started high school, once Mom deemed me old enough to shepherd them around the airport. Before that Dad would always fly here to see us for the holidays.

"Oh, right. She's taking that pony to 'A' shows?" Ali rolls her eyes.

"You mean the champion green pony hunter? Yes, she is." Okay, I'm done with this conversation, I'm just over it.

"I should get to work," I say standing to reach across the table for a stack of photos.

"Okay," Ali says dejectedly as she turns away from me.

"I can't believe we're out of school the next two weeks!" Jacey exclaims as she throws her backpack in the back of my Jeep a week later.

"One week until we leave this dreary, rainy weather behind for sunny California!" I smile.

"Sun?" Jacey says quizzically. "What's that?"