Part 15

“Uh… hey,” said Chi.

“Mera might appreciate this fun fact about fairies. A few of us can hear your thoughts.”

Oh shit.” Chi thought.

“Oh shit is right,” said Gloxinia.

“I’m guessing you’re backup for…”

“I sent them somewhere else.”

“On Zeldris’ orders?”

“It’s so cute that only one of you trusts him. No. I left Zeldris out of it even though I’m pretty sure he knows. That memory ceremony would have allowed him to know your past thoughts, too, right? I couldn’t risk having him think you’d act on them. After all, there’s two of you in there and he’d kill the body behind the sword that committed the murder. Kill your body and, well, one innocent dies no matter which one of you takes out my comrades.”

I enjoy not dying,” Mera thought, “and since neither of us have killed anyone maybe you could let us go home instead.

“That’s a nice thought, but you and I both know you weren’t really planning to go home. You were hoping to let your stay drag on long enough to be in control of the body and sabotage the ship so you could keep studying.”

That’s not true!

“The thought had crossed your mind.”

I’d never act on it.

“And it seems like Chi might want to prolong her stay, too.”

“You leave him out of this!” Chi snarled and went for her daggers.

Chi, no!

Basquias came out of nowhere and turned into hundreds of daggers. One aimed itself right at Chimera’s throat.

Drop the daggers and apologise, please.”

“And leave our body unguarded? No! Are you crazy?”

“You should listen to your sister, Chi.”

Please let us go, I’ll make sure she doesn’t kill anyone.

“I’d like to, I would. But you’re not in control of the body right now.”

Basquias transformed back into thick vines and wound itself around Chimera’s arms and legs before twisting another part of itself into what looked like a huge axe.
In Chimera’s shared mind, the sound of Chi’s expletives and Mera’s whimpered repetition of the word no fused into one pitiful sound.

Gloxinia didn’t know if what he was about to attempt would work, but it was worth a try.