Part 20: Zeldris' POV

As it turned out, Zeldris had been waiting for Gloxinia and had no problem teasing him about the theatrical entrance. He’d been pleasantly surprised to see Chimera, even more pleasantly surprised to learn it was Mera in control, and then absolutely infuriated to learn what Gloxinia had done to her.
Zeldris knew Gloxinia could read minds, which means he knew that Chimera was royalty and endangering her like that could have resulted in a war that sterilized the Earth. Through Mera’s memories, he’d heard what the Martians did to Venus so long ago.
And Mera looked so tired.
She seemed happy enough when she saw him but something was… off. Zeldris let her curl up with him and waited until she fell asleep before quietly berating Gloxinia for his stupidity.
“You could have killed her.”
“But I didn’t.”
“And her twin?”
“Was breathing when I left. She had a friend nearby. I didn’t leave her for dead. And besides that, the idea of cutting her in half and healing her came from your mind.”
“I wasn’t seriously entertaining such a risky and pointlessly violent possibility.”
Gloxinia shrugged, “it worked, didn’t it? Now the twins don’t have to argue about staying or leaving.”
“How hard would it have been to ask them first?”
“Oh, come on, this was clearly for the best.”
“Go scout. I don’t want to look at you right now.”
As a dangerous edge crept into Zeldris’ voice, Mera stirred. Gloxinia stalked away and Zeldris pulled Mera closer. He’d told himself he wanted to repay her kindness by protecting her and now, twice, his comrades had threatened her life. Twice, they’d nearly killed her and twice he’d wanted to leave this place and go somewhere, anywhere safer.
He knew there wasn’t anywhere safer. He didn’t want to let her out of his sight after all that had happened. Mera snuggled closer. The day had gone grey and cold and windy.
The previous day had been uneventful. No one but him had returned so Zeldris had been stuck babysitting Fraudrin. Fraudrin had barely been able to take down a town on his own and had asked Zeldris for help. Zeldris had obliged grudgingly. A more powerful demon would have been able to handle it, hell, even Chi might have been able to. Zeldris had seen Mera’s memories of Chi sparring with the elite warriors of her planet. If nothing else, at least Mera’s twin was strategic, something Zeldris could respect and something that Fraudrin was not.
Zeldris sighed and watched the day grow darker.