Chapter Seventeen

Abby clung to Jarrod's hand nervously as they stepped into the room. Selena moved to the side and she caught her first glance at the rest of the council. There were eight chairs, seven of which were occupied, they all faced the middle of the room where a gray table took the centre, it was cold and clinical. She let out a shiver, she felt like an inmate on death row, she only hoped she would get a stay of execution.

Suddenly the man in the centre seat barked out a laugh as he stood. He was over six foot tall with ash blond air, he didn't look a day over thirty, his eyes were a piercing blue. She felt as if she looked directly into them he could gaze right through to her soul. Definitely a vampire then, to look so perfect.

He moved closer and cocked his head to one side, taking her in. Her hand tightened in Jarrod's grip.

"No need to fear me child, do not take to much stock in how the human world operates, our's is very different I can assure you "

Both Jarrod and Selena looked at her quizzically, slowly comprehension dawned on Jarrod's face and he smirked at her.

"Stay out of my head, all of you. I cant help it, all you need is some glass in between and it will look like a prison execution"

Abby's tension ebbed away as everyone in the room laughed, she thought the council would be stuffy old men, she could'nt have been farther from the truth. Out of the eight council members, including Serena, there were four women and four men.

None of them were over the age of forty, well there appearance wasn't, she had no idea if witches or elementals aged.

"Of course" replied the man.

"You Abby are very honoured to be here, we don't normally stand in the presence of one so young. Mr Carter brought you to our attention when he found you and we have followed you with great curiosity. We shall commence with the ceremony and see if we cant help you with your dilemma"

Abby changed her mind, this man was arrogant and conceited. He let out another bellow and she glared at him. Obviously if they were on the council they were powerful, and this vampire was able to read her mind with such ease, she didn't even feel his presence.

"May I ask your name?" she asked.

"Only those I think worthy may know my name, time will tell with you little one, shall we begin?" he gestured towards the table.

Jarrod gave her a reassuring squeeze and stepped back. She followed the vampire and hopped on the table as he took his seat.

Serena moved in front of her.

"You will drink from the blessed cup and then lie on your stomach, we will tell you when you may rise"

Pinching her face in disgust Abby nodded her head, she only hoped it was a tiny amount of blood she had to drink.

A young woman entered the room carrying a golden chalice on a silver tray, she stopped at the side of Selena and half bowed as she offered her the cup. She gave a nod and removed the cup, the woman left as quietly as she came.

Holding the cup high Selena began,

"We offer you the blood of the ancients, it will bring you strength, it will bring you peace, it will bring forth the powers of your lineage"

Abby watched in wonderment as Selena seemed to glow the same golden colour as the chalice, her hair began to move as if the wind were blowing through it, though not a breeze stirred.

"Ancient one's we ask that you protect this child and that you give her the answers she seeks"

The cup was thrust into her hand as everyone watched her expectantly. Without looking inside, she gulped the contents down. She didn't gag as she thought she would, the taste was sweet and warm as it flowed down her throat.