Chapter Thirteen

Abby stood outside of Mr Carters room, reluctant to go in, for some reason she felt her day was about to go from bad to worse. Whilst debating what to do the door's suddenly swung open revealing Mr Carter, a grim look on his face.

"Come in Abby, we have allot to get through this morning and not allot of time"

"Okay"

"Please sit, make yourself comfy and we'll get started"

Abby reluctantly sat opposite him.

"Abby you have a whole new world to learn about, most Dampyhrs are born into it knowing what to expect and how our world works"

"Of course" she nodded, wondering where he was going with this.

"After we found you we decided to investigate, to see if we could determine your lineage and to understand why your mother kept you hidden from us"

"Don't bring my mother into this" she snapped "If she had known she would have told me"

With a sigh he continued "I'm sorry, I know this is going to be hard for you to accept, but your mother did know your true heritage and were assuming you were hidden because of who your father was. This is going to be greatly upsetting for you but I'm afraid your mothers death wasn't an accident, and I believe yesterday's incident was related to this "

Abby gasped with disbelief.

"What are you saying, that someone killed my mom, why?"

"I'm afraid so"

She hung her head, tears swimming in her eyes was this her fault?

"Were not sure who was involved, but I promise you we will find out"v

Snapping her head up, she met his gaze directly.

"You keep saying we, who is it you referring to"

"The Council of Elders"

"We have a council"

Mr Carter smiled softly.

"Yes we do, it's made up of the oldest supernaturals in the world. Our laws and conflicts are decided by them, there say is final. They want to meet you Abby, it's a great honour."

"What, why? Mr Carter I'm sorry if I'm coming across dumb but this just doesn't make sense to me"

"When a Damphyr turns seventeen they are asked to perform a ritual, some choose not to, those who wish anonymity. Once the ritual has been performed your lineage will be revealed"

"Okay, well let's do it then"

"Abby there's a reason we normally wait till your seventeen, the ritual can sometimes intensify your powers. You have only been recently turned, were not sure if you could handle it, we wanted to wait until you had been here at least a year."

"No matter what I can handle it, if it means finding out who killed my mom, I'm assuming they were after me right?"

He nodded his head in agreement."If your sure, go and have some lunch we will go within the hour"

Abby headed back to her dorm in a haze. she couldn't comprehend what was happening, she felt her life had finally settled down, she had been happy for a brief moment in time. The pressure of being responsible for her mothers death weighed heavily on her shoulders, how could she live with this guilt.

"Hey Abby are you okay?"

Looking up she saw Calli, her face washed with concern, she couldn't put how she felt into words, she shook her head.