~~Chapter 29: Surprise!~~

Alexander's P.O.V

John had left after I told him what I had told Y/N. He tossed his coat on the ground and rolled up his sleeves. I told him to not do anything I would do and he told me to go f*ck myself. As John left, I saw something drop out of his coat and land in the mud. I glanced at the exit of the tent before standing up and reaching for the item. I smeared the mud off the item. It was a little box. I frowned as I popped it open.

My eyes could only stare as I saw the silver ring. I was startled. I gently took the ring out of the box and examined it. After a few seconds, I found a tiny sentence. 'For my dear Y/N'. I couldn't even gasp in surprise, that's how shocked I was.

I looked back toward the exit. I put the ring back in the box and clasped the box shut. Subtly, I put the box in my pocket and sat back down on my bed.

Y/N's P.O.V

"Move," The soldier, who was holding a bayonet to my back, barked. I was standing still for a second so I could catch some breath. "I've been walking for an hour. I don't walk at all. Cut me some slack," I argued back, before getting a heavy poke in my back. I bit on my tongue and kept walking. 

We were at the camp, but the tent I had to go to was on the other side. Of course it was, why not? When I was pushed inside of the large tent, I tripped and fell down on my knee. I could balance and stand back up. The general seemed slightly impressed, but not impressed enough to not spare me a second glance. 

The tent looked like Washington's tent. Big, full with papers and pretty neat. I was forced to sit on a chair so they could tie my hands even tighter. Now, I had to wait for what my destiny would be. The general sat down as well but didn't face me. He seemed to be waiting for someone. 

"You got what you wanted, I can't go back to the Americans. I am not a threat to you. What are you going to do to me?" I asked. He slowly turned his head towards me. "Wait and see," He said and turned his head back. 

The tension was thick and I was getting tenser every second. I should've just accepted my fate from the beginning. At least then I wouldn't have to betray my friends. I'd have to betray my acquaintances. Which is still terrible, but still.

"Who are you waiting for?" I asked. "You'll see," He answered. "What are you, a f*cking fortune teller?" I hissed. "So you do curse," He chuckled. "What's your name?" I asked to change the subject. "Call me Howe," He answered. "Y/N and it's not a pleasure to know your name," I spat. He folded his arms and stared at me with his intense blue eyes. I stared back. I was going to die. That was a sure thing. So I'm going to show attitude. 

"Sir," We heard as a soldier entered. Both of our heads turned. "She's here," He said as the general nodded and stood up. "Great," The general smiled as he grabbed me by my arm and cut the rope with his pocketknife. He handed me over to the soldier. He roughly grabbed me and twisted my arms behind my back. 

We walked out of the tent. In front of the tent stood a whole battalion. But the most noticeable person was in the front. They stood in the front like a true general. Redcoat and all. I slowly let my eyes travel up and made direct eye contact with the person.

"Peggy?" 

"It's general Schuyler for you," Peggy barked at me. She cut her hair, it was short and tied into a low ponytail. Her eyes seemed so bland. This wasn't the same person. It couldn't be.

"Peggy, when you told me you had a problem with the redcoats, I didn't think you-"

"Shut it," She hissed. I shut my mouth. Whatever Howe was trying to do with my mind, it was working. My mind was roaming all over the place. Questions were flooding my mind and I didn't have any buckets to grab some questions and throw them out. Piles upon piles stacked and my head exploded. 

I thought she was dead. I thought she had died in the fire. It all made sense now. It all went back to what she had told me at the winter ball.

"You landed safely, right?" She asked as I nodded. "It wasn't that big of a drop anymore," I reassured her. "Yeah..." She mumbled as she looked at the ground. "..." She stayed quiet after that. I looked around as she looked at the ground. "Is there something wrong?" I asked as I tried to look at her eyes.

"...Sam..." She hesitated as she looked me right in my eyes, got nervous and looked back down. "What?" I asked, clueless to what she was trying to tell me. "I-" She started. 

She looked around. "I've got a problem," She whispered. "Tell me," I said giving her a reassuring smile. "I made a stupid deal with the general of the Brits," She told me which hit me like a bomb. "You did what?" I whispered, widening my eyes. I was trying to stay as calm as I could. She clenched her yellow dress as tears rolled off her cheek. "It was stupid. I shouldn't have made it but-" She stopped to sob. I hugged her. That's when she realized I wasn't male.

She hesitantly wrapped her hands around me. "Now you know my secret. Tell me yours," I whispered. She took a deep breath in. "I just wanted to be seen," She admitted. "It's going to be okay," I reassured her. She tightly hugged me as I put my head in the crook of her neck and supported her head.

It all made sense. "I was always the underdog," Peggy began. I looked up. "I met Howe when I tried to run away and he promised that I could become something great. And look at me now," She smirked. "I'm a general," She chuckled.

"Peggy, think about this-" "Schuyler," She hissed. "...Peggy, I'm not going to-"

And that's when I felt a hard slap come right at me. My left cheek was red. I let my head hang as Peggy massaged her hand. "Your sisters miss you," I whispered. She scoffed. "Then they'll get a hint of the misery I've been through," She sneered. 

"She's all yours," Howe intervened. "You can commence your plan now," he added. "Using me as bait was your plan?" I yelled as I turned my head to Peggy. She could only smirk as she cocked her head to the side. The soldier next to her grabbed me from the other soldier and brought me right to her. She began to play with a piece of my hair. "That was only part of the plan," She whispered with a sickening grin.

I jerked my head away from her and the soldier made me drop on my knees as I did. "Now you're mine," Peggy chuckled before she walked away, leading her battalion back to where they came from. The soldier who held my arms stayed near Peggy. Once everyone was gone, I was to be tied up in Peggy's tent.

When Peggy walked in with her grin, I could only stare her down.

"You're sick," I hissed.

"Sick of waiting," She corrected as she kneeled down next to me and pressed her lips on mine.