5.01 » reacting chemicals

MAGNOLIA HAD HEARD THE NEWS from Lydia. Isaac was back at school, and she had been doing all she could to avoid seeing him. It was the reason she and Lydia had gone to class early, speeding by her locker while he wasn't there.

"Why are you sitting over there? Sit next to me," Lydia demanded.

"I need to talk to Stiles. Allison can sit next to you."

"This is not how best friends treat best friends," Lydia complained, making Maggie laugh.

"Next time, promise."

Others started arriving in a matter of seconds, taking their seats around them. Stiles and Scott came in, looking rather suspicious, as they stared towards the back of the room. Magnolia turned to see what they were looking at, finding Isaac and Erica staring right back at them. Swiftly, both Scott and Stiles took a seat next to Lydia, leaving both girls stunned and confused.

"I'll tell you later," Scott whispered to her. Magnolia nodded as Allison came in and sat next to her. She looked confused as well but Maggie just shrugged as Mr. Harris began his lecture.

"Einstein once said 'Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity.' And I'm not sure about the universe, I myself have encountered infinite stupidity. So, to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments. Let's see if two heads are indeed better than one. Or in Mr. Stilinski's case, less than one. Erica, take the first station, start–"

Mr. Harris' instructions were interrupted by hands shooting up into the air, eager to be the blonde's partner.

"I didn't ask for volunteers. Put your hormonal little hands down," barked Mr. Harrison. "Start with Mr. McCall."

Scott looked aggravated, but moved seats anyway. Hoping Stiles could offer some explanation as to what was going on, Maggie called him over to sit next to her but Isaac took the seat before she even spoke.

"Avoiding me?" he asked in a low voice.

Ignoring his question completely she asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I am helping you out by being your partner." Isaac grinned at her and Magnolia rolled her eyes.

"No, seriously."

"Didn't you hear? Jackson withdrew his witness statement. I'm innocent."

Magnolia stared at him dumbfounded as he started catalyzing the reaction. "Really?"

"Would I lie to you?" he asked. She politely refrained from rolling her eyes and began working on the worksheet. It was silent for a bit before Isaac spoke up again. "You have no idea what's even going on, do you?"

Magnolia shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Your little best friend over there is the kanima. And we're going to prove it."

Maggie scoffed, putting down her pencil to look Isaac straight in the eye. "Lydia is not the kanima." Isaac just kept on mixing solutions, ignoring her stern voice. This frustrated her, making Magnolia cover the top of the flask before he could pour something else in. "Listen to me," she uttered between gritted teeth. "There is zero chance of Lydia being a monster. If you touch her I swear I'll–"

"You'll do what?" he questioned, taking her hand off the flask and holding it in his. "You can't protect anyone. You're just sweet little Magnolia Sylvan."

Mr. Harris sounded the bell and yelled out for the class to switch partners. Maggie pulled her hand out of Isaac's, glaring at him.

"You're so adorable when you're angry."