A Goodbye

(Keith's Perspective.)

(There is a month long trip away. Keith is staying back home because of Anna plus he's pregnant.)

"This is going to be my first trip away. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

"I'm sure. If I need anything your mother has made it very clear that I can come to her."

He sighs.

"It's just- we'll all be gone. Even Hunk is coming."

"I know, but trust me."

I force him to look up at me.

"Everything will be fine. You'll only be gone for a month at most. Anna is a great help around the house and I'll call if anything happens."

He nods and pulls me into his chest.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Everybody ready?"

Iversons voice rings through the air. People break away and start heading towards the castle. Soon there's only a few family members standing around to watch. Lance pulls back and rests his forehead against mine.

"I'll be back before you know it."

"I'm counting on it."

He kisses my forehead before backing up. I watch as he waves one last time before disappearing into the castle.

"I'll watch over him."

A gruff voice says behind me. I turn and my eyes land on Iverson.

"You're going to watch over him?"

He turns to me.

"I never thought kids like you all could mature so much. You were all whiney little kids who thought school was going to be fun."

He moves to look at the castle.

"Seeing you now I'm impressed. You're adults who have experienced war and what's it's really like up there in space."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Because you can lose things up there. It's never a set in stone plan. Down here it's heaven compared to there. You can say one thing but in truth you never really know."

He looks back at me.

"You know first hand what it's like to lose someone to space. I've seen what it's done to you and now that you've found a stable point in your life I'm going to make sure it stays that way. I'm your teacher no matter how much you've aged. I've been to your wedding, birthdays, baby showers, parties, classes, everything. It's my job to watch over you. I will make sure that he comes back to you and your kids."

"That's surprisingly the nicest thing I've ever heard you say."

He nods.

"I have my moments."

I watch as he walks towards the castle. Coran meets him at the top and both stand watch as the door finally closes, signalling their final goodbye.