Chapter 9

They got to Camp Hindmarsh just as lunch was about to be served. They were some of the only people there, and therefore got the pick of the cabins. Jennie declared her intention to stand guard at the door, making sure that Krystal ended up somewhere else, but Jisoo laughingly pulled her away. She seemed hell-bent on exploring the place and, as much as it made Jennie pout and grumble, she wasn't going to miss out on spending the rest of day in the company of Jisoo and Jisoo alone.

Jisoo, at least on the surface, seemed back to her old self. Jennie still thought she could sense something not quite right underneath though.

Are you surprised? She probably didn't expect last night. Then again, neither did you. The voice in Jennie's head was being reasonable today. It worried her. Something was probably up with that.

She and Jisoo spent part of the afternoon poking around the camp. They ran in to a few of the less abhorrent people in their grade and hung for awhile. Each time, Jennie managed to pull Jisoo away again. Subtly, of course. When more and more people started to arrive, she somehow managed to steer the purple haired off in the other direction, still trying to keep her alone. They ended up down by the lake, skimming stones, a feat at which Jisoo had considerably more success than Jennie.

"I just don't get it," the brunette moaned in frustration. "Mine just go plonk, and yours do, like, five jumps."

The purple haired laughed, her eyes lighting up, creating a warm and fuzzy feeling deep inside the pit of Jennie's stomach. "Here, watch." She demonstrated once again, her wrist flicking out and bouncing the stone across the still surface of the lake. She watched Jennie try, and giggled when her stone made a resounding thud and sunk straight down. Jennie grumbled again.

"It's magic. You have some deeply-hidden superpower you're only sharing with me, safe in the knowledge that I won't admit to anyone I was at school camp and therefore your secret is safe with me."

"It's not that hard," grinned Jisoo. "Here." She moved up behind Jennie, stooping to pick up a nice flat pebble as she went. Standing behind Jennie, she put the pebble in her hand, the palm of the purple haired sliding up the inside of Jennie's forearm just slightly. The brunette froze to the spot, not sure she could breathe let alone move to throw the stone.

"Okay," she heard the girl whisper, breath on her shoulder hot and warm. "Bend your wrist back like this." She bent Jennie's wrist, gently bringing the arm back and almost closing the distance between them. Near contact. Jennie tried to count to ten, anything, her body tightening.

This is torture. Pure torture. Bring on the Iron Maiden, baby. I'm ready.

"And you flick like this," the purple haired finished. To Jennie's surprise, the rock skipped across the lake twice, and fell down.

"Hey!" She lit up. "I did it!"

"You did!" agreed Jisoo, taking a step back. "Good on you."

Jennie knew she had a cheesy grin on her face, but she couldn't help it. Jisoo laughed, and the brunette gave her a playful bump with her shoulder.

"Having fun?" she enquired.

"Yeah," answered Jisoo, brightly. "You?"

"Actually, I'm sorry to admit that I am."

"Why are you sorry?" The other girl looked puzzled.

"Because this is school camp and it's supposed to be pure hell. Instead, I meet you and that's close to the coolest thing that's happened in a long time." Jennie blushed a little with her own honesty.

Jisoo blushed, too, smiling that sweet smile of hers, the one that made Jennie want to smile, which would result in two people, just standing around, smiling incessantly while the world fell apart.