Getting better

"Amaira! Amaira! Where is my sister?!", I heard Sameera shout.

"I told you already and I'm telling you again. She is safe and asleep. Why do you keep shouting?", Ketan snapped.

"Yeah and four days ago you told me that she went on a run. Turns out she wasn't waiting for sundown at a safe place. She was bloody kidnapped. I'm not taking your word for anything now. I will believe it once I see it"

"You can stop roasting him now", I stood near the door.

"Amaira!", she shouted in joy before tackling me in a hug.

"I would say I couldn't breathe but I'm a vampire", I chuckled.

"Don't you ever go on a run alone"

"Okay, mom", I rolled my eyes.

"I'm serious"

"Alright, alright, I won't"

"See, I wasn't lying or making it up", Ketan said from behind Sameera.

"Why are you still here? Shoo. I need some girl time with my sister", Sameera sneered.

"I will be downstairs", Ketan mouthed before walking towards the stairs.

"Since when did you become anti-Ketan?", I chuckled.

"Since he became your mate. As a sister, it's my responsibility to give your potential partner a hard time", she winked.

"You are unbelievable", I shook my head with a smile.

"What else did you expect?", she smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "What does your 'girl time' consist of?", I asked with girl time in air quotations.

Her smile faded a little before she forced it back, "We need somewhere more private"

"I would say outside but considering what happened, that's probably not a bright choice"

"Let's go to one of the spare rooms on the top level", she said.

Both of us found an empty room on the top level. "So, what required this secrecy?", I asked.

"There are things that you can't tell your mate but there is absolutely nothing you can't tell your sister. You know that right?"

I nodded, "I don't like where this is going"

"But it's important. What happened during the past four days?"

My eyes were immediately moist at the mention of the past four days. "I-I don't want to talk about it", I blinked away the tears.

"But you need to. It's not healthy for you to keep everything bottled up. I know I haven't been there for you when you needed me but I don't want to repeat that mistake"

I immediately hugged her tight. "It was bad. Terrible. The dreams were the worst"

"What did you see?"

"I have seen my mate die more times than I can count. Each time, it was the same. He came to rescue me. We almost made it. Somehow, everytime, a blurry person kills him and I lay there, helpless. I wanted to scream and fight but I couldn't. I just.... couldn't", I felt tears roll down my cheeks.

Sameera hugged me tighter, "How do you feel now?"

"Scared. Scared that I would lose everyone. At the same time, I also feel relieved", I broke the hug and looked at her.

"Why do you feel relieved?"

"Maybe it's because I don't have to see Ketan die anymore or because I told you what happened"

She smiled, "Just know that nothing would ever happen to any of us. Since you are already in this mess, I can't say there is a bed of roses ahead. All I can say is that it gets better as you learn to live with it"

"Thanks. I need to hear that", I smiled.

"And you can always come to me to complain about your mate", she winked.

"Now I know how I manage to ruin moments", I shook my head.

"Guess it runs in the family", she chuckled, "Anyway, I better go give Nina some blood. Yash put me of feeding duty", she rolled her eyes.

"How is she doing?", I asked, concerned.

"It was a mess when I came here. Yash asked me to feed her once every hour. I gave her some blood and rushed to your room"

"Is she awake?"

"Partially. I guess she is asleep now"

"Is she going to be alright?"

"Considering the amount of sage, I would say she would be pretty weak for about a week. She needs to constantly puke everything out to get sage out of her body"

"That sounds awful", I said a little horrified.

"Yeah but she is probably going to sleep all the time. She wouldn't feel much pain. I gotta go now", she said quickly before speeding down just as quick.

I walked downstairs and saw Ketan sitting on the couch. I sat down next to him. "Had a good sleep?", he wrapped a hand around me.

I leaned against his shoulder, hugging his arm tight, "No nightmares this time"

His grip tightened around me, "Same ones?"

"Were you eavesdropping?"

"Sorry. Couldn't help it"

I sighed, "Yes. I don't think I'll have them anymore. I'm out of that miserable place", I smiled.

"Yash is currently working on finding that place"

"All hell is going to break lose, isn't it?", I asked sitting up straight.

"You don't need to worry about it now. Just focus on getting better". I was about to say something when Ketan interrupted me, "I know you are physically strong but the whole kidnapping took a toll on you. You need to let your mind rest"

"Don't you think talking to you would help me better?", I raised an eyebrow with a smile.

He sighed, "What's going on in that pretty mind of yours?"

"Just a few questions", I shrugged.

"Alright. Shoot at me"

"Are Yash and Nina mates?"

Ketan's face immediately scrunched up, "Ew, no. The fact that they love each other despite not being mates makes me say ew with more passion", he chuckled at the end.

"Why would Nina even choose him?"

"I have no idea. Bad taste in men, probably. They had a huge fight a few years ago. I was glad they broke up but he cares about her"

"Wow. Such hatred", I rolled my eyes.

"You have no idea, milady"

"Speaking of past love, Nina told me..."

"What?"

"Nothing", I shook my head and stood up.

"What did she say?"

"Nothing. Let's talk about it some other time"

"Are you sure?", he stood in front of me.

"Yes. I'm going to check out a few books in the library. Wanna join?"

"Sure"

Both of us went to the library and were immediately greeted by the strong scent of Yash. I picked up a book he was reading a few days ago. A book about killing old vampires. I knew a war was brewing and I didn't want to be unprepared when time comes.