04

How much easier could it get? The husband. So many men were out of the question, considering all that had fallen on him so far. No unknown face; not exactly known for his reserved nature and income, not really low. Especially many people in New York were out of the question in this case, weren't they? One point that was quite crucial and further narrowed the whole thing down was the fact that Tony and he knew each other. Knowing how people from the New York upper class know each other. Fleeting acquaintances.

"Tony couldn't have given you a better tip", provokingly wiggled her ring finger, looked at the ringless finger and had to start smiling unconsciously, weakly, "Many people of his kind think they are gods, and if this were true, he would be God. He would be THE God among the gods. Some.... Very many of them actually possess a god complex."

"Just as modest as our friend here always is," Rhodes remarked and hit Tony with the back of his hand against his shoulder, which only brought him back to himself, "Why are these people always so modest? Maybe, you could give me an answer, Tony, since you're not unlike each other."

"There is no such word, or one with a similar meaning, in the two languages. Not to mention in vocabulary. Not with him and not with Tony anyway. Let's not kid ourselves, the two are quite similar," Jyn Rhodes answered the question courteously, although it wasn't a real question, only rhetorically, "Don't take it personally, rather as a compliment. Loved and hated at the same time. Who can say that about themselves?"

If you want to be precise, this conversation took place like a pure insider joke that only Tony, Rhodes and Jyn understood. Wilson and Vision stayed out of this conversation completely. The experiment had been gone for some time, to their great delight. Someone like Wilson could have known or at least guessed it the best and what Lang was up to, he knew it. Good Victor wasn't, even if the doctor would fit the profile. But Victor was another story that didn't belong here.

To her amazement, Vision floated his lower body through the tabletop towards Jyn and placed his right hand on her temple, whereupon a complete film took place in her head and in front of her mental eye. A film that contained well the last fifteen years of her life. And quite honestly. Does a person want to see the last fifteen years again? Rather not. When Vision took his hand away, Jyn looked at him blinking and pulled down the corners of her mouth in a convulsive swallow. Silently he nodded to her because he understood or at least could understand in some way why Jyn had reacted the way she had reacted and it was her decision in the end what she gave of all the price and what (well) she didn't. In addition, there was a lot that could not be told because it didn't belong here or just wasn't anyone's business because it was private. Privately.

"Doctor Stephen Strange", Lang stopped after long speeches and not getting to the point with which he pulled Rhodes, Tony and Jyn out of their sole conversation, "Her husband is Doctor Stephen Strange".

"The Doctor Stephen Strange? The doctor Strange? Why isn't that a surprise anymore?" Even more ridiculous and ironic, Wilson's voice couldn't drip, so Jyn just had to roll her eyes and look at the former soldier pitifully, "You got married rich and one of the country's most successful surgeons at the same time. It couldn't be better for someone like you."

"Someone like me? Then what are you Wilson?! I married an assistant doctor," Jyn Wilson corrected with the same unconscious smile on her lips as she had just looked at her finger, and set out to leave, as it was finally time to do so, just because everything had been clarified, "At that time he was at the very beginning of his career. He is also the best in the country and the best in the world in his field. You can't find a better neurosurgeon because there is no better one. Gab. Be no more of his accident. Nevertheless, he has set the bar infinitely high. Tony, we'll see you the week, otherwise I wish the rest a nice day."

In spite of everything Jyn could only say that Strange was the best guy back then. There was nothing to shake about it. It was a fact. Fact. There was no second time for someone like him. In his subject one of the best and, as already said before, possibly the best. Brilliant and egocentric. Just like Tony is. Genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist, Tony would certainly have corrected her now, but she wasn't going for that. This 'philanthropist' would have been one of those points Stephen could have eliminated. Without people, his job wouldn't work, but people as such, rather no.

In the evening Jyn lay half on the couch, leafing through the latest issue of National Geographic and pushing one or the other task further back. You just couldn't say anything about the photo series. Those who are allowed to publish their photos in here had made it and should be looking forward to a lot of orders. Nevertheless, today had not been their day. There was also not really much help, so that her mood became better. On page twenty-three arrived a kind of crackling was to be heard, however, she thought nothing large thereby. Only when there was another crack did Jyn raise her head, slowly straighten up from the couch and put the magazine on the glass tabletop, which was half a meter from her, to take a thirty-centimeter long metal rod from the underside of the couch instead. With the thirty-centimeter long crackling metal rod held upside down in her right hand so that the end pointed to her elbow, she slowly walked through the living room toward the front door.

"Are you serious?", aghast, Jyn took down the metal rod after she arrived at the door and a man in black sweaters slowly rose, "What do you want?"

"What do you want to do with that thing? You don't have anything better," the dark-haired man replied amusedly, but when he heard the stick crackling in Jyn's hand, he raised both hands, "Hey, all right."

Nothing was good. Not in such an Action.