28

Alliances are those that can reunite old friends in unexpected ways by testing the strongest of all bonds. They can lead to the greatest of all victories or to devastating defeat. However, one can never win a victory alone. One must ally to defeat those who are superior. Some make a pact because of a common goal, others out of desperate need. But for an alliance to succeed, you must make sure that an ally is indeed a friend. And not a camouflaged enemy.

"And I was invited to Madison Square Garden," disappointed, Jyn let a narrow blade wander between her fingers, glancing up only fleetingly as she approached, "I guess I can forget about that."

"A lousy-tempered Titan wants to wipe out the population and you worry that you can't visit Madison's Garden," close to it but close to it means passing by despite all that, yet an attempt was worth Quill, "Are the plants there so special that people really have to buy tickets?"

"Um.... If the plant is called Bon Jovi, yes", it was hopeless and more exhausting than ever to jump on any not so clever remark, which Jyn gradually couldn't do anymore and became more exhausting from time to time, "Bono or halt U2; Blake Shelton, Eminem, One Republic, Adam Levine or Depeche Mode not to mention AC DC or the Rolling Stones, where the cards are gone within seconds, "Beautiful if you're on special lists."

"Why are plants named after musicians?", not to believe that Quill still got halfway around the curve and at least noticed that there was talk of musicians, although, the fool came from Earth and some of the musicians mentioned might correspond to his generation, "Do people have no more ideas?"

In terms of how it might be that Quill didn't know Madison Square Garden when he came from Earth, Parker didn't open up, just because it was one of the most famous stadiums in the world and everyone knew it. Especially as the stadium was built nineteen hundred years ago and Quill should know it.

༺═────────────═༻

Everybody experiences the one day they're down. Not able to stand up. Events that will shape a person in the future. Now and forever. One thing is demanded. Stand and put on a mask. The world will not care how you are. Nobody. No matter how you feel; how bad it is; how painful something may be, wear it with a smile. Mexico showed a second page. A hard, unpredictable and ugly side to all of this. It put another one on top of the previous one. Even if it is hard to believe. Turn it off. Every job, every order, every task comes first. It is the highest priority. No matter what you feel or feel, it has nothing to do here. You have to stand above it. No suffering of this world can be so bad that one cannot bear it. Whatever you feel is just a chemical process that makes your body feel anything at all. So get up and continue. You can rest when it is over. Or you are dead. Here there is no good or evil, no rules or laws. Not on this side of the border. Two possibilities. Live or die. Either or. It is up to you.

- Mexico, 14 months ago

༺═────────────═༻

"Is she ugly, too?" asked Mantis Drax, which made Jyn falter to look at the snail creature and start blinking in disbelief.

"Please what?, as if Jyn had just misheard herself, she shook her head and turned back to Stephen and Quill, as both were closest to her, "Of all people, a nudie with oversized eyes calls me ugly. Okay. I.... Why doesn't anyone tell me that?"

"Doesn't matter to you," Mantis said encouragingly and put on a disturbing smile, which caused exactly the opposite when the pink being had in mind, "I'm ugly, too."

"Shoot me," simply, then Jyn was out and didn't have to deal with the three creatures, Mantis, Drax and Quill, which would make it a lot easier, "Then this agony has an end."