Chapter 1

The outlands, a vast jungle of crumbling buildings that stretches out into the horizon. At first look at the city that used to be called Brisbane you would think nothing but death was here, but I guess I'm proof that's wrong. I start weaving my way through the shells of what some of the elders call cars, not that they can know for sure, I mean nobody was around at the end of the war. Ah, the building the group of people I live with are, it's a large concrete building that used to be a school, not that I really know what that is either. As I reach the front doors of the building Dominic bursts through them and starts yelling.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING GOING OUT BY YOURSELF!?" He yells.

"Please, Dommy you're only a month older then me so shut your big mouth," I say calmly back to him, he really hates it when I call him Dommy.

He clenches his jaw before continuing," I am a year older then you and you know that, and you can't just leave without telling anyone."

"Damn, when did you become the fun police, I just went out to trade with the gutter rats, anyways you can't just keep me here forever, I feel like I'm in a jail," I keep using old world references from stories from the elders.

Dom starts walking towards me slowly and says quietly,"Star, you're lucky your even here in the first place, if my father hadn't found you... The mole men would have gotten you."

I start laughing at him," Mole men, ha, they are just tales that parents tell their children to stop them from leaving the shelter."

"Yeah, and how would you know that you don't have parents," he retorts.

Ouch, well that hurt, he is so dead. I coil my fist back and swing it towards his face only to be caught halfway by someone with a strong grip.

"Welcome back Star," a loud booming voice says calmly from behind me still holding my arm, Dom's father, James.

"Oh my gosh, James, it feels like I haven't seen you in a whole hour, I just missed you so much," I say sarcastically.

"Very funny....get inside," James replies, uh oh, his voice got quiet, I'm in deep crap.

I sashay inside, trying to keep my cool, calm appearance before he explodes. But he doesn't.

"Star, you can't keep doing this, wandering around the city with no backup and without telling anyone," he starts and I roll my eyes, he ignores it and continues," we aren't the only people in this city, your only fifteen and all it takes is for you to run into the wrong people for them to gut you like a fish."

"Are you finished?" I say fake yawning.

"Yes, you may leave," he replies.

"And stop calling me Star, my name is Nova," I say annoyed while walking away and Dom starts to follow me.

"Domnic, not you, we need to talk about certain things that you say," James says and I smirk.

Later loser, time to get back to my room. I walk into the small office that I share with my best friend slash sister, Terah. She jumps off the dirty mattress on the floor and runs over to hug me.

"So wadya, get me!" She squeals excitedly, and I pull a two fresh apples, beef jerky and a new blanket out of my bag that cost me a pair of shoes and a three soap bars.

"Oh my gosh! Amazin', how much trouble did ya get inno," she laughs while snatching an apple from me.

"None surprisingly, but Dommy is," I say and she already knows that he was being rude again 'cause that's the way he's always been.

"Anyways dinner is in an hour so maybe you should go have a shower or somethin' 'cause ya smell like a dead fish," she says pinching her nose.

I glare at her and walk out the door to find the 'communal showers' and strip off and wash myself. I get out dripping wet and remember that I forgot my towel.

"Crap!" I say under my breath, contemplating whether to walk out the stall stark naked or not.

The bathroom door screeches open and I decide on not going out in the nude. I wonder who it is. I peep through the crack in the stall door and see Dom taking off his shirt. I don't know what's worse, I'm perving on Dom or I actually think he has a nice body. That was until he turned his back to my stall and I saw the criss-cross of pale lines on his back some had red flowing out of them. It takes me a minute to realise that they are scars, and blood! Oh my gosh what the hell has he been doing! I step away from the door shocked, and end up slipping on a bar of soap on the ground. I land flat on my ass and accidentally slide under the stall door. I scare the crap out of Dom and he runs across the room away from me.

"Ouch, my ass!" I squeal, and he turns and looks at me, then turns bright red and then starts laughing.

Why is he laughing? I look down at myself and remember that I'm naked. I squeal again and try to slide back under the stall door and hit my head, really hard. Now he's on the ground laughing his guts out. I run over to him and steal his towel and run like hell, forgetting my clothes... Damnit.

So I hope you liked chapter one guys!

I had heaps of fun writing it so hopefully it was great.

Comment if you have any idea on how I can change the book and make it better

Freyjaxoxo <3