Chapter 19

Lee

I wake up at the sound of a whispered conversation, Nova and Tate's conversation to be exact.

"...you have to believe me now, even that guy thinks your Tate," Nova says yawning.

"Look, I'm not saying that I don't believe you, it's just I don't know what to believe right now... By the way have you forgotten that we are in a base full of Mole Men!?" Tate exclaims.

"Can you two shut up before you wake the rest of the complex up!" I say annoyed.

"Don't tell me to shut up or I'll slap those freckles right off your face, where the hell are we going to hide, or eat?" Nova says angrily.

"Be grateful that I saved your asses! you do not want to know what the Mole Men have in store for you, as for hiding and food, I will bring you food some time today and just stay in this room for today, tomorrow I'll take you to the rebel base... I have to go do something, don't leave this room and if you think someone is about to come in hide in the tunnel, after I leave lock the door, only let me in, okay?" I tell them.

"Yeah, whatever," they both say at the same time then look at each other with a glare.

I thought that they were close, obviously not though. Before I leave I take a short cold shower and change my clothes. Afterwards I open the door and walk out shutting it, I wait for the click telling me that it was locked, it sounded almost immediately. I start my short walk to Terah's room and knock on the door, to my surprise she doesn't answer. I knock again and again no answer.

"That's strange, today's her day off," I turn the door handle and find that the room isn't locked.

Terah is twisted in the blankets and her golden curls are all over her face... What did she do last night?

"Terah? It's Lee," I say approaching her bed with caution.

When she doesn't respond I say a bit louder," Terah? It's me, Lee," this time when she doesn't respond I shove her arm. Big mistake.

She dings out of the blankets and pushes me to the ground, when she recognises who I am she mumbles an apology.

"Well you're a morning person," I state which earns me a glare from her.

"Shut up, I had a bad night," she says looking worried for some reason.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothin'," she replies to quickly, why is she lying.

"Well if nothing's wrong get ready we are going for a walk," I say.

"What? Who says?" She asks wearily.

"I say, because I already told you that I would answer your questions today," I tell her and her eyes get wide as she grabs some clothes and runs into her bathroom.

Well someone's excited. Ten minutes later she emerges from her bathroom in black jeans, singlet and hoody. I walk out the door and she follows close behind me.

"So, where we goin'?" She asks.

"Somewhere where we won't be disturbed," I reply.

"Why can't we just go outside again?" She asks.

"Because it would be suspicious if your disappeared two days in a row," I say and she mumbles an agreeing reply.

That wasn't the reason I wasn't taking her outside though, I didn't want her to see Tate and Nova. It would only take one slip up for her to blow the whole operation, get me killed and screw up Nova's chance at a reasonably normal life, one that she probably never has had. So no I am not going to tell her about Tate and Nova... Yet. We arrive at the waterfall garden, the only place in the facility that doesn't have microphones to pick up what we are saying.