Chapter 23

Reece

My heart is pounding. I can't believe she actually likes me... Wow I sounded like a chick then. She is humming as we follow Skyler down the hallway, she reaches a door and ushers us inside. I look at the small office looking room with a poster of a map of the world with writing a circles, a old wooden desk, three chairs two on one side and the other one on the other side. Nova drops into one of the two chairs closest to us and I sit in the other. Skyler walks around the desk and sits down.

She looks at us both for a long time then finally says, "It's such a pleasure to meet you Nova."

Skyler smiles at Nova and looks deeply into her eyes, Nova looks uncofortable with the attention and says, "What about Tate."

"What about him, Tate is a mistake, he shouldn't be here, if I had my way he would be dead not threatening man-kind," she looks at me in disgust.

Nova reaches her had under the table and holds my hand and says,"excuse me but I really have no idea what the fudge is going on with all this destroy the human race and save the human race."

"Right, right, but first I must ask, how come you have no idea about your past?" Skyler asks.

"I remember taking a pill, so that if the Mole Men caught us they wouldn't get any info from us," she says, I think it is better if I don't talk right now.

"Oh, a memory suppressant, very clever of you Nova," Skyler says to her.

"Um, actually it was Tate's idea," she says saying 'Tate' weirdly because she isn't used to it.

Skyler ignores her and says," well I better explain everything you need to know. When you were young Nova, you were found wandering the streets, you were only about two years old. Your parents had been murdered by raiders and you somehow escaped and were wandering around, Tate's father, Jensen, picked you up and brought you back to the base which was previously located in a very big old building near Brisbane. You were just the person that they need, a young, healthy child, someone that they could inject with an experimental drug. The drug was supposedly a 'cure all' I could destroy any bad foreign material in the body also cure sickness and disease, it worked. Your DNA and the drug blended to create a even better drug one that could increase healing extremely and... Other side affects. Considering you were a success, they thought that if they injected more children with the drug it would work the same, it didn't though, Tate is a perfect example of this, the lucky one"

"The non-perfected drug didn't blend with the other children's DNA in fact it destroyed them, from the inside out, nothing could cure them even the perfected drug made from Nova's DNA didn't work. All of the children were left to die, except Tate, because his dad was the leader of the camp he was given another experimental 'cure all'. Nanites, as they were called, microscopic robots that were supposed to fix Tate's condition, which they did, except after absorbing the drug, the drug started to destroy the nanites which were foreign matter. The nanites fought against the drug which was inside each of them and managed to contain it. Unfortunately, because the nanites were supposed to leave his body and self destruct when he turns nineteen and the nanites didn't actually destroy the drug only contained it, the moment the nanites self destruct the drug will become air born and and slowly kill everyone on this earth except for Nova, because she is immune"

"But, the perfected drug can stop it, it can destroy the nanites before they destroy the earth, and that drug is in Nova's body, she will save everyone!" Skyler finally finishes her speech with none of us interrupting.

"But I remember having parents when I was four or so," Nova says.

"You were adopted by a couple, anyway that is not important 'ight now anyway," she says back to Nova.