Chapter Eighteen

"Manny, please! At least bring back Rapunzel, she could do the rest. But we need them. Pitch is still out there."

The Man In The Moon didn't reply. Hiccup stomped angrily.

"Oy, let me try." Merida crossed her arms and looked up at the huge glowing circle in the sky.

"I've heard them call yeh Manny, so that'll have ter do. Listen up, Manny, Pitch Black is gonna go out and take o'er the world wi' darkness so I suggest stop bein' a moron and jus' bring 'em back! Punzie is meh best friend, an' I can' lose her. An' the Guardians, well, they go' a big job, keepin' the children safe n' all. An' Elsa, well she's importan' too. Who's gonna save her sister? An' Jack- a huge dingbat, really, bu' he's still somethin' more than tha' to all of us. So, Manny, you better be given 'em back because I've go' a life to live with 'em. Sure, I go' these idiots, but who's gonna help keep some sanity 'round? So, please. Please, please do this."

Everyone stared at Merida. Her speech was really good. They had never really heard her speak from her heart like she just did.

"Wow, Mer. I can see that they really mean a lot to you." Astrid smiled as she grabbed her friend's shoulder.

Merida smiled at Astrid. "Thanks, lass."

Manny seemed to glow brighter for a moment. A shallow breathing was heard behind them. Both girls turned around.

"P-Punzie!" Merida leapt forward and hugged her tightly.

"Wha- hey, what happened? I had a horrible nightmare. Pitch was using his minions to kill us all off and..." She looked around.

Merida's eyes filled with tears. "I know... It's horrible, isn' it?"

She stood up and walked to the Guardians. "I think I know why Manny brought me back." She wrapped her hair around the four of them and began singing.

Flower gleam and glow,

Let your power shine...

They all started coughing out black sand and sat up.

Rapunzel did the same for Elsa. Her skin healed as she awoke. They hugged.

The last one to heal was Jack. He was the first out of all of them to be lost. She wrapped her hair around his wound and started singing.

Nothing happened. "No... No, why isn't it working?"

A deep but calming voice spoke. "You see, he's been gone for too long. His soul is lost. I can only promise you his soil if you give me one of yours in return."

Everyone was scared. To save Jack, another had to die. Rapunzel stood up, tears in her eyes. "Then you can take me."

"Rapunzel, please!"

"Don't do this..."

"No, not you!"

She turned to them. "This is my choice. I... I hope you guys will do fine without me." She bit her lip.

Turning back to Manny, she said, "Give me a little but of time. I have some people to say goodbye to."

She placed her hair around herself, and teleported to the castle. Rapunzel hugged her parents and told them she loved them.

She went back to Jack and everyone else. After saying goodbye, she kissed Jack on the cheek. "I always loved you. Thank you for being my guardian."

She laid next to Jack and grabbed his hand. She closed her eyes and breathed for one last time.