Chapter Twenty-Three

"Well," he began. "She has these amazing eyes, and her voice is even more perfect... But her. She's just so special. Y'know what I mean?" Jack grinned at Rapunzel and Eugene.

"It's good to hear that you're happy. And Eugene and I feel the same way. Oh- but Jack, we have major news." Her eyes lit up. "We're engaged."

"Wow- really- this is... Wow."

Eugene laughed at him. "Pretty great, isn't it? I know we haven't known each other for very long, but it just seemed right."

"Well, congratulations. I can't wait to see you two getting married."

"I have to go work on more plans, I'll see both of you later." Eugene kissed Rapunzel's cheek and left.

"This is really crazy. My little Punzie is getting married."

She blushed. "Well, I am eighteen. It's not like I'm that little five-year-old anymore."

Jack sighed. "Yeah, I guess. But this is still going to be really hard for me. You're grown up, and I can't really stop it."

Rapunzel nodded. "I should probably go and help Eugene. He isn't really the wedding-planner type of guy."

"I'll see you later." Jack pulled her into a hug. After a few seconds, he let go. "Bye."

The wind drifted him away. "To Arendelle!" He smiled.

Jack landed and went straight for Elsa. "Hello? Anyone around?"

Elsa jumped out and giggled. "You better give up now, Jack Frost!"

"Huh?" He muttered. "Oh! Oh no! Not the evil Snow Queen!"

"Yes, it is i. Prepare to meet your doom!" She lunged forward.

Jack grabbed her waist and pulled her into a kiss. Even if she acted like an eight-year-old at times, he still loved her more than anything.

"Oh, big news! Rapunzel and Eugene are getting married not long after your Coronation."

Mention of the word 'Coronation' made Elsa step back. "Yay...?" She forced a smile.

"You are going, right?"

"Of course! She's my cousin. But I hope you don't mind if I wear my gloves... I'm still nervous of people finding out."

"You'll be fine, I promise."

-

"Your majesty, the gloves."

She became nervous. 'Nobody will find out.' She kept telling herself.

Everything went smoothly. The party began, and Anna ran off. After about an hour of speaking with other royal officials, she finally showed up.

"We'd like your blessing... Of our marriage!" The two looked extremely happy.

"Marriage? Anna, may I speak to you alone?"

"No, if you have something to say, you can say it to both of us."

"The answer is no. Close the gates, the party's over!"

Anna was shocked. "Elsa, please!" She grabbed her sister's glove.

"Give me back my glove!"

"No! I can't live like this anymore!"

"Anna, enough!"

"No, Elsa! Tell me, why do you shut me out? Why do you shut the world out?"

Elsa quickly walked to the door, upset at her sister.

The final words escaped Anna's mouth. "What are you so afraid of?"

"I said, enough!" Elsa shot a wall of ice around her as everyone gasped. She too was scared, though. Elsa ran from the kingdom, over the water.

Jack saw and decided to follow her. He didn't want to make her more upset, so he stayed hidden behind the trees.

Rapunzel was sitting in a chair, alone. Eugene was off, doing who-knows what. "I can't believe nobody told me..." She muttered.

Anna walked over, running her arms from the cold. "Did you know?"

Rapunzel shook her head.

-

Elsa returned a few days later, and everything was finally normal. The gates were open. Everybody was happy.

She and Jack were finally back together, and their powers had brought them closer than ever.

Rapunzel and Eugene had returned to Corona though, and it was a day until the wedding. She put on her wedding dress one last time. She sighed.

That night was rough, for she couldn't sleep. After three hours, Rapunzel closed her eyes and finally drifted off.

The next morning, she awoke, her heart pounding. She was nervous, yet anxious.

As she walked down the aisle, a small noise barely caught her attention. It sounded like a gold piece falling over.

Eugene held her hands and looked into her eyes. "I do."

"I now pronounce you husband and... Fire... Fire! There's a fire! Quickly, everyone leave the castle!"

The citizens of Corona fled as quickly as they could. Eugene was hurrying behind Rapunzel. His shoe got caught on a fallen post. "No!" She tried to pull him free.

"Go without me!" Tears stung Eugene's eyes. "Please, you'll have to leave me here."

She froze in shock for a few seconds, trying to decide. "I would never do that." She pushed from underneath and freed his foot. Rapunzel grabbed the ends of her dress, running after him.

A large, flaming piece of wood fell down between them. The fire roared and crackled, making there no exit for Rapunzel.

Eugene hadn't noticed until moments later, when he spun around, panting. "I'm glad... That we're... Safe..." She wasn't behind him.

Fear struck his heart. He charged back inside, screaming her name. "Rapunzel! Rapunzel, where are you?!"

He couldn't stay inside any longer. Two guards ran in and pulled him out. "Please, she must be in there! We can't let her die!"

He sat by the edge of the kingdom and cried as the castle began collapsing.

She coughed, her lungs filling with smoke and ash. She sat in a small section that was not on fire. Rapunzel looked around herself. "How could this happen to me..." She wiped her eyes and grabbed her dress.

A burn shot up her finger. "Huh?" She looked just as a flame crept up her dress. She tried ripping it away, but it reached her bare legs. The burning scorched her skin, and she screamed in pain. The fire went all the way up her, until it reached her face.

She was on the ground, motionless. Her body was burned, red patches of skin showing. The fire was put out, but now the guards were searching for Rapunzel.

They eventually found her, lying dead. They left to go inform her family. But when they returned, all that remained was a long golden piece of hair. Just one strand.

-

Okay so I figured I'd tell the whole story in a flashback... Is that okay?

I just felt like I needed to update my story and give you guys something new to read.