Three

Ana's POV

Chapter Three

********

I sat quietly, waiting for Eric to return. Why had he asked me to help him? I was nothing special, and I had never been. He should have asked Jovette; she was good at everything. Smarter. Braver. Prettier. She laughed in the face of danger, her spontaneous sarcasm was enviable.

And I would never amount to anything.

These fears plagued me, haunted me every day of my life. Sometimes it felt as if I'd never escape them. Why was I so shy and quiet and soft-spoken and....

"Anastasia." Eric's soft voice cut through my thoughts, and I turned to look at him. He met my eyes reproachfully. "I know what you're feeling right now. And it's not true."

"Are you sure you can't read my mind?" I smiled, trying not to let him realize I didn't believe him. "How do you always know what I'm thinking?"

"I can just tell." Eric replied with a mysterious glint in his eyes. He smiled. "You're not that hard to read, Anastasia, especially since I've known you for so long."

"I hate that name." I muttered under my breath. "Hate it, hate it, hate it. Why did Mother choose it for me?"

Eric looked surprised. "You never told me you didn't like it."

I blushed, embarrassed. "I've never told anyone before." I whispered.

"Well, I don't want to call you by a name you don't like." he mused. "Can I call you something else?"

"Oh, you don't have to." My ever-present shyness made me look away. "I don't want to be a bother."

"It's not a bother." Eric looked thoughtful. "How about Ana? Is that any better?"

Oh, I liked that! "Yes!" I blurted. "I mean... if it isn't too much trouble."

He smiled. "You don't have to be shy. It's just me."

"I know, but..." I swallowed. "I'm a naturally shy person."

"Well," Eric grinned. "You can also be very outgoing. But only when you're comfortable. And I'm probably the only person who's seen that side of you. Everyone else thinks you're just shy, quiet Ana, but I know better."

I felt myself beginning to smile. "That's because you're nice. You put me at ease."

"Why, thank you." His smile grew. "I'm glad of that."

"You said you had a plan?"

"Yes." Eric's eyes twinkled. "Yes, I do. Let me tell you what I need you to do...."

*****

"Are you sure she won't recognize me?" I asked, fidgeting uncomfortably.

"Calm down, Ana." Eric soothed. "I know my abilities and limits. This will work; I know it will. I believe in you."

"Well, I don't." I muttered under my breath.

He heard me. "Ana, stop it. Don't be negative. You'll do great, but we have to hurry."

"Okay, okay," I groaned. "I'll do it. But will I have to wear a pink dress? I hate pink."

Eric laughed affectionately. "You're funny. No, you won't have to wear a pink dress. You can wear whatever you want."

I perked up. "Really? Why didn't you say so?"

"I just did." he pointed out.

"Fair point." I was in a considerably better mood. "Let's go!"