Fifty-Six

Jovette's POV

Chapter 56

***

I stared at the stone ceiling, wondering if there was something I was supposed to be doing. It was already midmorning, and I still hadn't seen Ethan.

I'd taken advantage of the fact that I was no longer in the wild, and in one of the closets of the castle rooms I had found numerous dresses exactly my size. I had changed out of my dirty, soiled clothes and into new ones, hoping Ethan wouldn't mind.

Let's face it: he probably won't even notice. I thought with a slight pang. He probably wouldn't notice if one day my hair turned a violent shade of pink.

I sighed softly. It was so easy to wish that things were different.

But they never would be.

A surprised cough sounded at the doorway, and I turned to see Ethan standing there, watching me.

He, too, had changed out of his previous clothes, and I took the opportunity to stare at him unabashedly.

He swallowed, then stepped into the room. "You changed."

"Oh!" I blushed. "Sorry. I found the dresses in the closet. I hope you don't mind...."

He noticed.

I felt certain my cheeks were tinted pink.

Ethan shook his head. "If they're there, use them. No one else is going to wear them."

"Oh, really?" I tilted my head innocently. "I thought maybe you played dress-up with them sometimes."

He stared at me, obviously not in the mood for joke.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "I forgot. You have no sense of humor."

There was a long silence. Then he sighed. "I suppose you're hungry?"

I pretended to be surprised. "You're offering me food? But I'm a mere hostage, remember? Food is optional for me."

This time his mouth twitched. Then he winced slightly and gestured for me to follow him out of the room.

"Let's go."