Forty-Two

Ethan's POV

Chapter 42

***

My heart was pounding like a drum, left over from the nightmare, but as my eyes focused on Jovette, a thousand thoughts sprang unbidden to my mind.

She was very close to me -- almost touching. Her hazel-green eyes were wide with surprise, and her face was inches from mine.

A sudden surge of emotion rushed through me, unhindered by the suddenly-absent pain.

It would be so easy to lean over and kiss her...

What? Where had that come from?

Why were my arms around her?

I was breathing hard, staring at her with shock in my eyes -- shock at an emotion I had never known or felt before.

Emotion was weakness. Emotion was pai-

What did those words even mean? Why did they always come to my mind when I thought of feeling? It was almost as if I had been programmed to think them.

Suddenly, panic filled me. I can't go through the pain again! Don't let it come back!

... Again?

Suddenly came a wave of agony, like flames from inside my soul. I gasped and pushed her away. The burning intensified as my skin came into contact with her. I stood up quickly and leaned against a tree, glancing about wildly for an escape route from the pain inside.

The answer hit me.

No feelings, no pain. Don't let the fire you begin burn you alive. Don't ever start it, and everything will be okay.

But why was it so hard?

Why did I suddenly feel as if I wanted more of that strange emotion that had flashed through me only seconds ago?

What was happening to me?

I dragged myself up out of my thoughts and shot Jovette a hard, cold look, but didn't comment on what had happened.

"Let's get moving."