Seventy-Three

Ana's POV

Chapter 73

***

For a moment there was deathly silence as Eric and I stared at the two prone figures of Jovette and Ethan.

Finally, Eric spoke quietly. "Do you think they're alive?"

I knelt carefully next to my sister. "Jovette is," I replied, seeing her chest rising and falling. She was just barely breathing.

Eric stared at his brother. "He loves her," he whispered. "I didn't think it was possible for him to soften, but somehow... she did it."

"Is he.... alive?" I asked hesitantly.

Eric watched silently for a moment. "His stone is still glowing. He's not dead." His voice was weighted with emotion, as if he didn't know how to feel about that.

"We need to figure out how to help them," I said urgently.

Eric turned and met my gaze. His green eyes locked with mine and made me suddenly breathless. "Yes." he said softly. "But first..."

He came over to me, took my hand, and helped me to my feet. "Ana." His voice was quiet. "You remember me?"

I nodded slowly.

"You remember.... everything?"

I nodded again.

Eric stroked a hand through my hair. "Even..." He pulled me close. I leaned against him, putting my head on his shoulder.

"Everything," I whispered.

"Do you still..." He looked hesitant, almost as if he were afraid to find out.

Not about to make him wait any longer, I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him briefly. "Everything." I repeated softly.

Eric sighed and wrapped his arms around me. "I had to know."

I closed my eyes and let him hold me. After a moment, they opened again with tears in them. "I was so terrible," I whispered. "And I didn't even know it. I'm so sorry, Eric."

He wiped away the tear streaking down my cheek. "Shhh. It's all okay now. That's all that matters."

I sniffled and rubbed my eyes, trying to stop the tears.

Eric smiled faintly. "You know, you're even beautiful when you're crying." Then he kissed my cheek and drew away. "Ana, before anything else happens... I have to ask you."

"Hmmm?" I replied, still wiping away tears.

He took a deep breath, then met my eyes. "Will you... er, can we.... I..... will you marry me?" he finally stammered out.

I stared at him for a moment, frozen in place. My heart beat a wild cadence of exhilarated surprise. Then, just as his eyes began to lose their hope, I relaxed. "Of course, Eric," I said softly. "Did you think I'd say no?"

"Uhhhh.... maybe," he replied sheepishly.

I laughed, still teary eyed. But for a different reason now. "I love you," I whispered.

Then he leaned in again and kissed me softly, wrapping his arms tighter around me. My heart melted and I sighed as he pulled back. "I love you, too," he murmured.

Then there was a silence as we both realized we were still in the middle of a crisis.

"But let's wait till we're sure everyone's alive before we start making wedding plans," I finally said.

He laughed.