Thirty-Seven

Jovette's POV

Chapter 37

***

The next morning, I woke up before Ethan did again. This was getting to be a regular thing.

This time, it was hunger that woke me up. My stomach had been growling all night. Ethan hadn't been able to catch any fish the night before and we'd gone hungry.

I remembered what he'd said about currants, and wondered if he'd kill me if I wandered off to find some.

Oh, well. It was either that or die of starvation.

After splashing water in my face to wake myself up fully, I wandered away from our campsite in search of currants.

Because if we had fish again... I would probably throw up.

I hummed a little tune as I pushed through the trees, scanning the undergrowth for currant bushes. Though I knew I was venturing further and further from camp, I wasn't worried. I could see the smoke from the barely-burning campfire rising into the sky. I wouldn't get lost this time.

I didn't even think of the other dangers these woods might have to offer.

Naive, foolish me.

After a short time of walking, I came across a sunny little clearing - full of currant bushes loaded with ripe berries.

I smiled. "How delightful!" At that moment, even finding a life-size candy gingerbread house couldn't have pleased me more.

In a moment I was kneeling beside a currant bush, picking the sweet-tart berries and popping a few into my mouth. I saved some in my apron.

Ethan can't get mad at me if I bring him some, too.

I ate my fill of currant berries, stood, and began walking back towards camp.

However, right as I turned and took a step, I ran into a wall.

A wall of matted, brown fur.

A huge wall of matted brown fur.

I looked up slowly into the face of a giant, grumpy-looking grizzly bear. Its mouth was open to display sharp, gigantic teeth that still had flesh from the previous meal on them. Its claws were bared, its expression feral and angry.

I screamed.