Twenty-Two

Ana's POV

Chapter 22

***

A stirring, a movement pulled me out of the depths of sleep. Eric was shifting.

I fell asleep? The realization surprised me. I hadn't thought I was that tired.

I opened my eyes a crack, then all the way. Eric's green eyes were only inches from mine. He'd shifted my position so that he could bring his face up close in front of mine.

"Oh." He sounded slightly disappointed. "I was going to kiss you awake."

"Why don't you?" I mumbled. "I'm still asleep, see?" I closed my eyes.

A quiet laugh. Then he cupped my face in his hands and gave me a soft, slow, lingering kiss that made butterflies explode in my stomach and a hummingbird replace my heart.

He moved in closer to wrap his arms around me and touch his forehead to mine.

I opened my eyes slowly, blinking sleep from them and wondering if there was any better sight than that of his bright green eyes.

As far as I knew, there wasn't.

Eric smiled and pulled away after a moment. I sighed and glanced around the room.

For some reason, Ella had her face buried in a pillow. She looked like she was hyperventilating and suffocating at the same time.

"What's up with her?" I wondered aloud to Eric.

"She just found out the prince wants to marry her," he mumbled.

I jerked my head over to stare at him and almost got whiplash. "What?" I yelped. "What did I miss?"

"A proclamation," he replied sheepishly. "Apparently he's trying to use the slipper she left to find her."

"Mmm." I bit my lip thoughtfully. "How's that gonna work?"

Eric shrugged. "I believe the royal coach is traveling from house to house trying to find her. If I'm not mistaken, they should reach this estate in an hour, perhaps slightly more."

Ella sat up, wide eyed. "An hour!" Panic flooded her face and she started breathing hard again. "I can't do this. I -- can't-"

Eric stood up, pulling me with him. His arms were still around me. "Do you need some time to get ready?"

She gulped and nodded.

"We'll leave, then." I said, glancing at Eric.

He grinned suddenly, mischief lighting his eyes. "Bet I could carry you out."

I stuck out my tongue. "Bet you couldn't."

"Is that so?" Eric scooped me up in his arms bridal style, hoisting me up close to his face.

I shrieked, surprised, then struggled halfheartedly, laughing as he blew in my face, then carried me out of the room. He was laughing, too.

He set me down on my feet carefully once we were outside the room, closing the door behind us.

"Are you hungry?" I asked him after a moment, finally regaining my composure.

He winced.

I shot him a stern look. "How long has it been since you last ate?"

"Yesterday morning." he mumbled. "I wasn't going to say anything...."

"Eric!" I stared at him in shock. "If you're starving yourself-"

"I'm not!" he protested.

I ignored him. "If you die of starvation, I will find you and kill you again," I vowed. "Now, come on." I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the stairwell. "We're going to find you something to eat."