Seventy-Nine

Jovette's POV

Chapter 79

*****

So there I was, alone in an overgrown rose garden with a very handsome young man.

-In that moment, it almost felt like our minds were connected... maybe we were even thinking the same thing!!!-

-Okay sorry, on to the story-

Ethan cleared his throat, then glanced away. "I'm going to be completely honest here. I have no clue what to say."

I looked up at him.

He sighed. "I'm sorry. I just... haven't had much practice in the art of conversation."

"Well," I prompted, "what do you want to say?"

Ethan stopped, then slowly looked at me. His piercing green eyes met mine, and he opened his mouth to speak. Then he stopped suddenly. "I don't know if I should."

"Say it. I promise I won't be offended."

He met my gaze, then glanced down at the ground, a shy little smile touching his mouth. "I think you're beautiful. And smart. And... really cute."

A happy grin tugged at the corners of my lips. "Now, how could anyone be offended by that?"

He shrugged, glancing away again with that smile still on his face. His expression was still slightly bashful.

I smiled and touched his shoulder. "Well, the same goes to you."

He looked confused. "You think I'm beautiful?"

Now it was my turn to blush. "Oh. Handsome, then."

Ethan grinned suddenly, moving closer. "Really?"

"Really. But don't let it get to your head," I warned.

He grinned even wider, inclining his head in deference. "As you wish, m'lady."

Inwardly, the title made me tingle, but I pretended not to be affected. "Oh, now I'm your lady?"

He met my gaze innocently, his green eyes enough to make my heart thump wildly. "Oh, yes. Emphasis on the 'mine' part."

I couldn't tell whether he was joking or not. "What makes you think that?" I teased. "Just because I think you're handsome --"

Ethan stopped me with a look. "Jovette..." He trailed off, reaching for my hand and taking it slowly in both of his.

The butterflies in my stomach were swarming in thick clouds of wings and antennae, and I shivered lightly at the tingle that swept through me. How could he do that to me in a single touch?

"Y-yes?" I asked, slightly hoarse. I swallowed, embarrassed at my shaky voice.

He stepped closer, staring at me as if transfixed. I held my breath.

Then he stopped. "Let's walk around the garden a bit."

Disappointed, I sighed and nodded. But then he wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer. Delight tingled in my spine, and I leaned my head slowly on his shoulder.

I could tell he was smiling.

We walked the perimeter of the rose garden, quietly talking and taking in the sight of the beautiful roses that seemed to have gone wild with no gardener to take care of them.

"I didn't even know this garden was here," Ethan said softly as we stood directly in front of a bush filled with blooming red roses. He fingered one of them, his hand caressing the velvety petals the way I wished he'd caress me. "It was right here in front of me the whole time... and I never saw it." He picked the flower, turning to me and stepping away so he could meet my eyes. "I was so blind in seeking the things I thought I wanted that I didn't even see the beautiful things right in front of me... the things that really mattered." Slowly, he reached out and tucked the flower into my hair, his eyes shining softly as they stared into mine. "But I see them now," he breathed.

His face was so achingly close to mine. I couldn't let this moment go.

His hand was still poised above my hair, and he wasn't taking it away. In that moment, I found a courage I didn't know I had.

I exhaled slowly, stood on my tiptoes, and kissed him.

A little noise escaped him; a sigh, a hum. He buried his hand in my hair, tangling his fingers deep and cupping my neck. His other hand supported me, holding me tight with his fingers splayed against my shoulder blade.

He was kissing back.