Sixty-Six

Ella's POV

Chapter 66

***

A boom of thunder interrupted my train of thought and made me glance up into the sky. "Oh, dear."

Phillip looked up, too. A drop of rain hit him in the eye. "Ow!" he complained.

I giggled.

He glared at me indignantly, which only made me laugh harder.

Then he grinned suddenly and grabbed my hand, pulling me into his arms and poking my ribs gently.

I squeaked. "I'm ticklish!"

Only encouraged by my exclamation, he tickled harder.

"Phillip!" I shrieked, trying to pull away. My giggles came out between gasps for breath as I struggled weakly, unable to escape. "Let go!"

"Never," he grinned, bending down closer to me. "You're my prisoner and I'll never let you go."

I squealed and attempted to get away again, but he wrapped his arms around me, eyes twinkling.

Then suddenly, he was easing in closer, first slowly, then faster and faster. I stopped struggling abruptly as his face grew nearer and nearer to mine. He paused a moment with his nose brushing mine, then tilted his head to the side and found my lips with his.

I froze.

I felt a smile curling his lips before he kissed me slowly and then drew back. His eyes searched mine, and as the moment wore off I saw hesitation in his eyes as he wondered if he should have done that.

After a long moment of silence, I leaned my head forward again and bumped my forehead up against his. "Well, it's about time," I said softly.

He began to smile again. "Ella......"

"Hmmm?" I asked, shifting a little bit in his arms.

He brushed a strand of my hair back. "I lo-"

A searing white flash of lightning illuminated the scene, right along with an absolutely deafening crack of thunder. We both jumped, and Phillip let go of me quickly, whirling around as if confronted by an enemy.

Then a piercing voice split the sky.