Fifty-Four

Ana's POV

Chapter 54

***

Ella helped me up. "This is Eric." she said quietly. For some reason there was sadness in her eyes. "He's been tending you while you were in your coma."

"Coma?" I stared at her. "Why was I in a coma?" I completely ignored Eric, still a bit uncomfortable.

She sighed. "It's very hard to explain. You probably don't remember much of what's happened lately, but Jovette was kidnapped by Eric's twin brother. We're trying to get her back."

"Twin brother?" I suddenly looked at the young man, Eric, with distrust. "How do we know he's not with his brother?"

He winced. I saw pain flashing in his green eyes.

"He's a friend." Ella comforted. "We know he's with us."

"Hmm," I mumbled skeptically. Then my gaze lit on something behind her. I shrieked.

"Oh my gosh, it's the prince!"

She turned. "Oh, yeah. You don't remember that, either.... This is Phillip."

I stared. He's so handsome...

He smiled and inclined his head. "Hi, Anastasia."

The prince knows my name!!! The information was almost too much for my poor brain.

"H-hi," I stammered. "It's really nice to - uh, to m-meet you. That is, I certainly..."

Eric's expression was haunted with anguish. He turned away. "I'll be back," he mumbled over his shoulder. I saw his hands shaking as he walked off into the trees.

Secret ventures off into the forest? Was Ella sure we could trust him?

"What's up with him?" I asked warily, gesturing at the trees.

Ella shot me a look. "You... remind him of someone he used to know." There seemed to be something more to her tone. Her eyes were sorrowful and she exchanged a glance with the prince. He took her hand consolingly.

Oh, dangit! Did he like her?

Hmmm.

"Oh," I said. There didn't seem to be much else to say.

Finally, the prince cleared his throat. "Well... I'm going to... uh, go fetch some water."

Ella met his eyes. "Are you, now?" Her eyes sparkled teasingly. "You've never volunteered to do that before."

He grinned sheepishly. "I know. I've gotta start shaping up if I ever want to win you over."

She barely held back an amused smile. "Well, at least you know the right way to do it."

I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to remember. "The last thing I recall is the night of the ball. We were captured by Black's men because Mother was going to let you come with us."

She sighed. "Yes. Long story short, you escaped. I went to the ball and met... Phillip." She shot him a pointed look. "Black is out of the picture now. And then Ethan, Black's son, kidnapped Jovette. So we're getting her back."

"So Eric is Black's son, too?" I was becoming more and more suspicious of the young man with the green eyes and dark-streaked hair.

"Yes," she replied shortly.

"Hmm," I mumbled.

Phillip went off in the direction of the sound of the river I'd been hearing since I'd woken up, carrying a pail. I watched him go in fascination. He even looks good in everyday, common clothes. I've always dreamed of meeting the prince...

Maybe I'll get to talk to him more soon.