Forty-Four

Ana's POV

Chapter 44

***

He hasn't kissed me in an entire week.

The thought had been throbbing through my head all day.

What did I do wrong? Why does he always act uneasy around me?

Is there any way I can fix it?

I was plodding slowly through the forest after the others, bringing up the rear of the party. Eric said we were catching up, but I wasn't sure. How much longer did we have to do this?

I stared at the ground gloomily until Eric glanced back and noticed my trudging pace. He left the front of the group and came to walk beside me.

"Is something wrong, Ana?"

I shrugged, looking away.

Eric sighed, then called out to the group. "All right, let's stop for today."

Without even waiting to see if they had obeyed his order, he took my hand and led me off into the trees, sat me down on a large rock, and then sat next to me.

"Now, tell me what's wrong."

I stared at the ground.

He put a hand on my shoulder. "Ana, I want to help." Eric caught my eye, and finally I couldn't look away anymore.

"What's wrong?" he whispered.

I felt tears stinging at my eyes. "I don't know," I replied. "You tell me."

"What?" He looked startled.

"Why have you been avoiding me, Eric?" I looked up and met his gaze. "You barely talk to me, barely touch me, barely look at me. What's wrong?"

Eric looked uncomfortable.

I turned away. "I can't do this anymore. Everything was so much easier when we were just friends."

"Ana-"

"No." I cut him off. My hands were shaking. "I don't want to hear it. This isn't working, Eric. I don't know why we even tried." I couldn't believe what I was saying. It was as if the words were leaving my mouth unbidden. Where were they coming from?

But they were true.

Eric took my hand, pleading. "Ana, I..." He faltered, swaying. "I love you." He bent in close and gently put his lips to mine.

I broke off the kiss and pulled away, unable to believe the words. Why would he? "I can't do this anymore," I whispered through tears he couldn't see.

"Ana..."

"No." My voice broke. "No more. I can't-"

"Please." Desperation haunted his tone and he caught my arm. My hand touched his face.

I twisted away and fled.

My hand was wet.

He was crying.

He'll be fine, I told myself, wiping away my own tears. He doesn't really care.

I'm just worthless.

I stumbled and fell, my flight coming to an abrupt halt. I bit my lip to keep back the tears still threatening to break loose, and stood up quickly, looking for the tree root or vine I had tripped over.

But as I glanced around, a flash of black caught my eye and I gasped.

At first glance, my thought was, Eric followed me, but that couldn't be.

And that left only one other option.

Ethan.

I backed away slowly, apprehension and fear rushing through me like a devastating tide. "What are you doing here?"

"I would ask you the same question," he replied coldly, "but I was expecting you."

Then he grabbed my arm and disappeared.