Seventy-Seven

Ethan's POV

Chapter 77

***

I sneaked another sideways glance at Jovette, trying to be subtle but knowing I was failing miserably. I couldn't help it. Her presence was just so... distracting.

The emotions rushing through me were new, and I could barely name them all. Relief that she was okay. Incredulity that she was standing right next to me. Nervousness that I would say something stupid. Happiness that Eric had somehow forgiven me. Guilt for everything I'd done in the past nine years.

Shyness...?

No, that wasn't quite right. It was an emotion I'd never felt before, something strange and new and unsettling and... wonderful.

I asked if I could kiss her. The thought pounded through my head. What would she have said if we hadn't been interrupted? Would she have rejected me? Not answered at all? Said... yes?

This was all so confusing and muddled. Emotions were hard.

But they were worth it. And I knew I wouldn't give them up again for the world.

Especially this new one that I'd never felt before. This was one I definitely wanted to explore a little bit.

Suddenly, a slamming sound from downstairs made me jump, startlement flooding me. Someone had come through the door.

Even the fact that I could feel that emotion made a tendril of happiness curl its way through the alarm.

But at the same time, my body stiffened and I moved in front of Jovette instinctively. Someone had come in through the door.

Is it Father?

Eric stiffened, too. His grip on Anastasia tightened.

"It's Black," he said with absolute conviction. "He's back to clean up the loose ends and kill us all."

Something didn't make sense, though.

"Wouldn't Black just appear instead of using the door?" Jovette asked hesitantly. "I mean, he really is one for dramatic evil entrances."

I glanced at her again. She's even smart and quick-witted. So pretty, too...

She saw me looking at her and blushed slightly.

I wished I had the courage to lean over and kiss her.

Eric relaxed a bit. "You're right..." His voice turned puzzled. "Well, then who could it be?"

Jovette met my gaze. "Any ideas?"

I didn't reply. I was kind of too busy staring at her beautiful hazel eyes.

If she was just beautiful, I'd be able to resist her, wouldn't be having so much trouble focusing.

But she was so much more than just that. She was smart. Sarcastic, yet sweet and understanding.

And she'd saved me from myself.

I heard my name being spoken and snapped out of my trance in a hurry, feeling my cheeks color red.

"Ethan!" Jovette was saying.

I glanced around. "Me?"

She sighed, then gave a little smile. "No, the Ethan standing behind you. What do you think?"

I blushed. "Uh, sorry. Shouldn't we go... investigate?"

Jovette nodded slowly. Her expression told me that she had already suggested that while I'd zoned out, and now she was wondering what was wrong with me.