Seventeen

Ana's POV

Chapter 17

***

Black's question sent a chill down my spine, but I ignored it as best I could and held tight to Eric. The color seemed to be coming back into his face, and he looked a bit stronger. He coughed, trying to breathe more deeply.

I shrank back against his sitting form and pressed my head to his chest, listening for the thump of his heart. Was it getting stronger?

Suddenly, Eric straightened, eyes narrowing. I felt my stomach flutter when I saw the determined expression on his face. He was okay!

"Father," he choked out. "What you're doing is wrong. I don't know if I'll live to see it, but.... I'm going to make sure you never hurt anyone again."

The stone glowed brighter, and he seemed to be concentrating immensely. Black looked unimpressed with what was going on, but as the stone shone brighter and brighter, his expression began to change. He clawed at his throat as Eric slumped back to the floor, strength draining. I didn't know what was going on, but I held on to the stone for all I was worth, hoping I was somehow helping Eric.

Suddenly, there was a bright flash of light, and everything went black for a moment. The echoes of light and dark contrasted and made confusing ripples everywhere I looked, but when my vision cleared, Black was gone.

Gone.

I glanced down at Eric, and panic quickly replaced my previous relief. "Eric?"

The stone was cold and dead. Colorless. Every trace of light and color was gone. Now it was dull and grey, like an ordinary stone. I traced my finger along it.

The warmth was gone from it -- just as it was from his hand in mine.

"No."

It was ice cold.