Eighty-Five

Ethan's POV

Chapter 85

*****

"Jovette?" I asked softly, glancing up at the twinkling stars as the two of us walked back into the castle.

She turned to meet my gaze, lacing her fingers with mine with a faint smile touching her lips and her hazel eyes shining brighter than the moon. "Yes, Ethan?"

My mind turned back to the words Eric had said earlier, and a twinge of worry bounced through me. I need to tell her my suspicions. She won't tell anyone. "I think Eric's going to do something stupid."

"What?"

"I'm not sure," I replied, biting my lip. I summarized my conversation with him earlier to her, and by the time I was finished her forehead was wrinkled with concern.

"You know, I don't know your brother that well but I think you're right," she said. Then the faint smile was back. "At least, if he's anything like you."

I tried not to get distracted by the gentle curve of her cheek, the way her hand grasped mine, the urge to just hold her tight and never let go. Focus, Ethan. This is important.

Her expression became more serious, too, and she bit her lip. "How can I help?"

"I'm not sure," I replied softly. "I just... want to make sure he doesn't make any rash decisions. If he really knows how to get rid of Black then... he'll stop at nothing. He feels like this is his fault. I don't understand why. If anything, it's mine."

Jovette's eyes were sorrowful. "Don't say that. It's not. And blaming yourself makes things worse." She thought for a moment. "Do you want me to be there? Just to help make sure nothing bad happens?"

Instinctive panic shot through me, and immediately I shook my head. "No. I don't want you hurt again, Jovette."

Her eyes grew stubborn. "I can-"

"It's not a good idea," I insisted, squeezing her hand tightly. "Black might hurt you just to get to me."

"But-"

"Please." I stopped walking and turned to look her full on in the eyes. "I can't let you get hurt because of me. Not again." If that didn't work, I didn't know what would.

By this time we were inside the castle, directly outside her room. She saw the determination and pleading in my expression, and sighed, nodding reluctantly.

"Thank you," I said, closing my eyes for a moment and letting relief wash over me. "And thank you for listening. I think I just needed to... talk about it. I'll talk to Eric, try and see exactly what he's planning. And I'll tell you what happens with that tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," she replied evenly, not even missing a beat. "Goodnight, Ethan."

Before I could even reply, she leaned up and kissed me, filling me with tingling sparks. I felt my arms wrapping reflexively around her, tightening as I kissed her back.

And then just as suddenly she pulled away, leaving me all but breathless. Her eyes sparkled with wicked mischief, and she grinned as if she knew something I didn't. "You know, I still haven't gotten back at you for the bucket of ice water or that drink you told me was water..."

I laughed, most of the tension melting out of my shoulders. "Should I be worried?"

"Maybe." She winked, then backed towards her door. "I will see you... tomorrow."

"That's right," I agreed, noting the hesitation. "You're going to stay in your room and sleep all night -- instead of worrying or coming out to check on Eric. Leave that to me, kay?"

"Mmmm," she replied, not meeting my gaze. Her mouth twitched, and then she turned and entered the room, closing the door behind her.

I smiled at the closed door for a moment, before turning and walking down the corridor towards my own chambers.

I'd been a fool not to notice the steely glint of stubborn determination in her eyes as she turned away.